Trail Diesel Rig

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesnt really pertain to the IDI but this is the best sction here.

I want to build a trail rig, most likely using a Bronco 2 and doing some Dana 44's under it and im looking for a smaller diesel that can give me good torque and HP to navigate where jeeps go.

Im thinking maybe a 4bt but im not too knowledgeable on smaller diesels. I want something small enough to not weigh the whole truck down but something easy enough to tweak where i can maybe get 200 or so HP and 300 Ft.lbs or something close to that so i can get through the woods and trails with ease.

any input ?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of ranger dakota style 4bt swaps over on 4btswap.com

Couple fellers using 4 cyl perkins, Deutz, and the 5 popper Benz as well.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Where are you going? What kind of trails? Gears get you home, HP gets you broke down, I laugh at the guys "driving" just spinning their tires, then towed home with broken axles, drive shafts, transfer cases, ect. Look at the way Toyota drivers, 140:1 overall drive ratio and they walk over anything.

You can get an adapter to bolt the Mercedes 4 and 5 cylinders to the AX15 Jeep transmission for $320, or to a Chevy transmission for $950 cookoo, the 4 and 5 N/A engines don't make tons of power, the 5 cylinder turbo can make 140hp 200# torque stock.

The 4BT is a reliable built like a brick poop house engine, but keep a few of these in the glove box

http://www.roundcube.co.uk/images/products/large/1224495155_ructoothprotectorpro.jpg

You will need them. They also weigh about the same as a 4 stall brick poop house, any diesel will be heavy, but not always stupid heavy.

If they were more widely availible I'd consider the Peugeot engine, that was a fun car to drive ;Sweet nimble light front end.

If you want to get creative look into industrial engines, perkins, kubota, yanmar, ect

Don't forget to consider lift, tire size, will this be a road truck or just off road? What are your states SMOG laws? How will it be registered? On road tags, or off road tags?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1.6 turbo Vw motors are pretty peppy. Come down here and ill sell ya a whole car with a 1.6 turbo motor with 148 k.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for a samurai with a vw diesel. Very light weight and very cheap on all the samurai parts. I have been riding lately with a friend with one and he can go through more stuff than the big powered trucks. It just seems to like to crawl over the mud rather than sink.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a gas sammi, walks all over the place with that thing, some places I'd be scared to take my tractor :sly if anyone is seriously interested I can find the sammi diesel mailing list, the complete changeover kit minus engine and a few other parts is $600 to your door ;Sweet if I had a proper wild hair up my **** I'd build an LWB 1.9L turbo diesel sammi :sly

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I vote for a samurai with a vw diesel. Very light weight and very cheap on all the samurai parts. I have been riding lately with a friend with one and he can go through more stuff than the big powered trucks. It just seems to like to crawl over the mud rather than sink.

ditto! ;Sweet;Sweet

With all the brand bias crap to the side, That is one of the best setups. One of my friends have that and its just the size and weight that makes it! it just crawls over everything and doesn't slink easy on fuel and cheap parts

Its pretymuch having an ATV with a with a heater and diesel engine :rotflmao

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
ditto! ;Sweet;Sweet

With all the brand bias crap to the side, That is one of the best setups. One of my friends have that and its just the size and weight that makes it! it just crawls over everything and doesn't slink easy on fuel and cheap parts

Its pretymuch having an ATV with a with a heater and diesel engine :rotflmao

My buddy calls his a street legal Rhino

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had nightmares about VW diesels for a while.LOL My dad use to own a diesel rabbit. I swear that thing was cursed. Every single Thursday that he owned it something would break or crap out on it.:rotflmao I got to swap engines in it a couple times, a couple IP's, many gp's, a few transmissions. It got to the point I almost wanted to crawl into a hole and hide every time thursday rolled around. I hated answering the phone on Thursdays.:rotflmaoLOL

Finally he sold it for parts. :D

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to keep it a Ford Body.

I will most likely have it on 35's with 4.56's or something. I dont need too much power, just enough to get through whatever i need. Im not looking to drag race through the woods.

It will mostly be ran on milder trails and what not, whatever i can find or make.

Truck will hopefully just be registered as an Antique, no inspection. And my area doesnt have smog.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a Bronco II with an IDI would be pretty cool!!;Sweet I don't know how the frame, front springs or the little ttb would like it though.:D It would have no problem keeping the front wheels on the ground!LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online