towing mileage

Black dawg

Reaction score
got 10 mpg towing 15k gross . not flat ground but drove real nice (55mph) keeping egts under 900 most of the time. this seems pretty low considering how I was driving. Also would like to find a .82 turbine housing. turbo makes good boost, but need faster spool.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1993 fact turbo, 4.1 geared truck, 285/16's, T and T weighed 14,760...

St.George to Sac, through south Tahoe, benton (bennet?) hot springs, mono lake, hilly if you don't know the area, and Gorgeous, Cali usually conjurs pictures of beach.. not so here!

anyway. 10.8 mpg, and I had exhaust leaks, running an IP off a 6.9, not turned up past where it was on the 6.9....

that was typical weight +-.. and I avg'd 13-16 towing, usually more (higher end of avg) in CA, gotta love 55 mph mandate, and way less in UT, think its the diesel. Truck even felt weaker in Utah.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that was typical weight +-.. and I avg'd 13-16 towing, usually more (higher end of avg) in CA, gotta love 55 mph mandate, and way less in UT, think its the diesel. Truck even felt weaker in Utah.

I was just burning a bunch of fuel left over from winter in Illinois on this last trip ( OK so it's a big tank ) and yes, you can really feel a difference when switching between fuels from different regions

Fuel mileage will depend on a lot of things getting timed up for the new fuel will help a lot ( I.e. 9.7 deg. btdc by pulse method instead of the old 8.5 will help you burn that junky new ULSD fuel better ) then condition of injectors and pump will play a big part, tire pressure tire type, load type
I was only getting about 10 then it dropped when the new fuel came out, advanced my timing and got it to 11.5, just installed a brownie and got it to 13.1. I wonder what would happen with a set of them there Moose Misters in there ( he thinks out loud :sly:rotflmao

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
hmmm... ive got a 7.3 with turbo, 4.10 and 5 sp. towing 7300lbs i was hoping to be around 13-14 mpg. im starting to think that may be a big dream. what is this "brownie" that ive seen talked about several times?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online