towed "the guesthouse" for the first time

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read through this thread and note that one thing is not discussed that needs to be.

The issue of how to handle a single rear wheel truck with a 35 ft / 10,000 lb. + trailer hooked on and a rear tire blowout. It happened with me, and I can tell you the result was a totaled truck, being whipsawed across 3 lanes of traffic by the out of control trailer, and a trip up the concrete guard rail on an overpass with a 30 ft. drop at the end...[didn't quite go over the rail, but got my attention].... And cured me of pulling with a single rear wheel truck.

Fortunately, didn't kill anything but the truck, but I can tell you the trailer was driving the truck in a way that I will never forget. ForWhatIt'sWorth. Good Luck,

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
hmmm... so basically by getting a really good deal on a humungous camper and thinking ive come out on top, ive really just made a whole bunch more work and expense to be able to tow it? seems about right for me. i guess the big question is, do i spend the money on THIS truck, or a bigger one? honestly i wont put the money for a bigger radiator into it and still have sub-par towing performance. id much rather put it towards a better engine to swap in, such as the DT360. sure that opens a can of worms too. what really bugs me is dads 03 superduty pulls it just fine with a damn smallblock! didnt overheat, didnt warm up the tranny, just wound out and tugged it along at 70 mph. yet mines on the verge of overheating by 45 mph. ya i agree its not the physical weight, its the extreme wind resistance of it. and man does it make a difference.

How I got rid of my overheating and underpowered problems,....Installed a Cummins,.....:D It saved my marriage!;Really

If you love the truck and are planning a motor swap go for it, but I also agree with G-Mann, You may want to get a Dually for that size camper.

OR,.. sell the camper and find smaller one, and one that is built with aluminum structure so it is lighter, around 28' and that truck will be much happier, and so will you while towing., Then Keep the truck and go ahead with your motor swap plans when it works in you schedule.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
well darrin, im trying to talk my parents into getting about a 28 footer that i can tow alot easier. dad will tow mine, ill tow his to the campground. and i can borrow his for longer trips. just sucks because that camper has everything we will ever need. ya im kinda scared about that much weight on a SRW truck too just for the blowout reason. thats why im thinking a CC dually with the DT360 swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online

No members online now.