Tow and Haul RV transporter build

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
I bet you really have to stay on top of the alignment with that truck

Actually I don't think it's had an alignment in 50 yrs? I did put new king pins in it 7 yrs ago(when I bought it). 65 mph, it goes straight with one finger on the wheel. I don't go stick'n the arms thru the wheel if there is any bad road or steering to be done. I'm crazy, but not stupid cookoo

After I bought my Haulmark, and picked it there, I realized that Norm Abram DOESN'T work there...:rolleyes:. They are throw together by far less qualified workers and surprisingly my trailer has made it 12 yrs with no real fixes needed. Only had to spend an extra hour or so at Haulmark when I realized the rear lights weren't working correctly when I hooked to it. Come to find out the butt connectors weren't secure inside the rear door. Did have them replace the interior trim around the windows as it didn't fit well and they just screwed it down tight completely crimping/wrinkling the trim. Not acceptable.

I suppose things are getting more flimsy as they try to lighten these monsters up after adding so many options.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I don't think it's had an alignment in 50 yrs? I did put new king pins in it 7 yrs ago(when I bought it). 65 mph, it goes straight with one finger on the wheel. I don't go stick'n the arms thru the wheel if there is any bad road or steering to be done. I'm crazy, but not stupid cookoo

After I bought my Haulmark, and picked it there, I realized that Norm Abram DOESN'T work there...:rolleyes:. They are throw together by far less qualified workers and surprisingly my trailer has made it 12 yrs with no real fixes needed. Only had to spend an extra hour or so at Haulmark when I realized the rear lights weren't working correctly when I hooked to it. Come to find out the butt connectors weren't secure inside the rear door. Did have them replace the interior trim around the windows as it didn't fit well and they just screwed it down tight completely crimping/wrinkling the trim. Not acceptable.

I suppose things are getting more flimsy as they try to lighten these monsters up after adding so many options.

Nice looking old Mack.

My Kenworth cabover isn't as old, a 1977, but it did require a lot of attention to drive. At least the previous owner you needed to. When I got it, one of the first things I did was to spend the $$$ and put air assist steering on it. Cost me quite a bit.... but well worth it when doing lots of backing/fine maneuvering. I was surprised you could still get a new kit for air assist steering....lucky for me. ;Sweet

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Mine still has ARMSTRONG steering. Thought I did put radial tires on it, so it's not terrible. Thought about air steering, but so far I've been able to handle it fine.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine still has ARMSTRONG steering. Thought I did put radial tires on it, so it's not terrible. Thought about air steering, but so far I've been able to handle it fine.

That's good. I was surprised that the air steering was still available. It's the same company that makes air steering for the military 6x6's. Forgot the name.... but ran about 1500 for the "kit".

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Showtime.

Finished catching up and catching my breath...... and now it's time to get started working on the truck first thing tomorrow morning.

Picked up some 1/4" brake line and unions today and shortend a 5/8" hydraulic hose for the parking brake hydraulic lines. Will finish installing the brake lines, bleed the brakes, bleed the parking brake system and get this truck movable again tomorrow.

Looks like a decent week weather wise so I'm hoping to finish this truck up by the middle to end of next week at the latest.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
"bout time you get back to work.... Slacker. LOL Waiting for the going down the road video.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"bout time you get back to work.... Slacker. Waiting for the going down the road video.
Don't you have a Hotwheels ya need to stretch ;p
You must be registered for see images attach

Finished the brake lines and bleeding the brakes. Biggest pain was just finding a place that could work on 5/8" steel brake line on the parking brake portion of the brakes, just to flare one end and install a fitting for me.

Here's the new flexible portion of the 5/8" line that I had to shorten about 1-1/2".

YES!!!

Fired right up for the first time in months and moved it out of the shop under it's own power. Brakes and parking brakes working like a champ.

Never measured it but evidently there's only about 45' from the shop door to the dog pen at the back of the house....... the truck is 39'11" long LOL

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ones for you Mike Give me:rotflmao

Looks real nice. ;Sweet I wonder if it's any longer than a 72 pass school bus?

Love that song.

Length is pretty close to some but my wheelbase is 3' longer:eek:, my rear overhang is comparable to some. Most big 70+ passenger buses have a wheelbase of around 276", mine is 312".cookoo

Buses can legally be longer overall too. Up to 45'.... my limit is 40'

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonka-
at least all you have to do is take down the dog run.;Sweet
buddy of mime put in a lift kit on his 4x4 and realized the truck wasn't going to be coming out of the garage easily.:eek:
even after taking down the garage door there still wasn't enough room to get it out.
he borrowed a set of rims with no tires from me and still no luck on reducing the height enough.
finally decided he was going to need to remodel the garage anyways......
took a sawzall to the header beam and removed it:eek::eek::eek:
his wife wasn't happy over his decision:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Russ, If it don't start making me money soon, I'm gonna have to go stand in line with all those Wall Street bankers at the White House and see if king obama can stimulate me too:Whatever:

TC, I can get it out of the shop without taking down the dog run. Shop door is 11' wide. will have to back in at an angle then come out and cut it hard at the last second.

Will have to take down makeshift gantry though or it's gonna comedown faster than I want it too.:eek:

Hmmmmm......... I do need a bigger shop though.:smash:LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have put car jacks with wheels under vehicles to slide them around but nothing that heavy.

just tow the back sideways with the tractor in low, grass always grows back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online