tough injection pump question

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got a question? I've replaced all my rubber lines and o-rings on my injection system and it still leaks. We've discovered the leak to be on the drivers side of the injection pump where that rod connects at the nut. It moves when I move the throttle linkage on the pump. What I wanna know is this nut movable? Can I tighten this nut without messing anything up like fuel injection or timing. That is where the fuel is leaking out of, so If I can get some detail on it I'd appreciate it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about on the bottom of your pump? If so, that's your advance pistion. Looking at a new pump in your future...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixing the leak is possible, but honestly if the pump is leaking, it is more than likely worn out anyway. To fix the leak, two seals would have to be replaced, and you would expose yourself to the probability of loosing some small parts or putting them back in wrong.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above... Generally speaking when that seal leaks its time for a new pump. How many miles are on that pump. If its around 125,000 miles its usually worn out at that point. Its true that some get more miles out of these pumps and some get much less. But this is a trend found here that these are the miles gotten before a replacement pump is needed. Same with the injecters too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well with the low amount of miles on the pump there is no way it should have failed. Where did you get that pump from and have you contacted them about this failure yet. If they are a reputable shop they may work with you on a repair.. A bad customer rep goes farhter faster than a good customer rep.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It came from a shop that sold it off ebay and I think it might have a warranty. I also got to thinking if i'm going to take off that pump anyway I was thinking about putting on a moose pump if I can get ahold of mr. moose :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fixing the leak is possible, but honestly if the pump is leaking, it is more than likely worn out anyway. To fix the leak, two seals would have to be replaced, and you would expose yourself to the probability of loosing some small parts or putting them back in wrong.

Just in case you didn't know Mr Moose.. This is the person you need to contact... This is Mel... He owns Conestoga Diesel in Pa. They are the makers and sole distrubitaters of the line of Moose products. I have a neet saying about the moose pumps... "Once you go Moose you'll never turn loose"... They are just that good. Its increditable how much better these pumps make our idi engines run.. It makes me feel good to promote something thats proven time and time again to make a big differance in what we have to work with...