Torque cam + Hypermax turbo ?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone try this combo yet? I've always heard very good things about the Hypermax Pulse system, and that the Torque Cam works well with turbos. My personal experience has always led me to shy away from non-gated turbos, but it seems like this might be a killer combo in theory.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wouldnt you want to use some kind of turbo cam to utilize all the boost?
As I understand it, Russ's Torque Cam is meant for turbo'ed engines...in fact, although no one's tried, I have a feeling that it might have a negative effect on naturally aspirated engines, for reasons that I'm not sure Russ wants people to discuss on here...I'll let him have the final say on it :)

For a Hypermax and for any turbo, I can't see the Torque Cam being anything other than a very good upgrade :sly ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any cam timing changes that improve torque also improve low end boost on turbo engines. The key is the lobe separation angle, I was just at the cam grinder this week talking about this exact subject.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are spot on Russ. Back when I was young, I had a 65 Chevelle with a supercharged smallblock. I put a non-boost specific big lift cam in it and it idled really smooth, but never made the power it should have. That cam had a lot of overlap where both valves were open, which was ok for normally aspirated, but not great for boost. I bought a custom ground blower cam with less lift but more lobe separation and it was like a different car, idle, sound and power (particularly top end) all changed for the better. 12.60s thru the mufflers on street tires with 3.23 gears and really terrible launches. Not fast by todays standards, but pretty cool back when mullets were fashionable :rock:!