Top ten signs your mechanical fuel pump is failing ....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
No. I had one fail. It just stopped pumping fuel.

Well it depends....

The airtex one i had didn't pump my crankcase full of diesel but it left me walking back to my shop.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use an AIRTEX pump. The last one (besides my truck) failed 3 weeks after install in a E450 shuttle bus. I was not happy having to pull that one down again.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to say ALL mechanical IDI fuel pumps (regardless of brand) will pour fuel into the crankcase when they fail? :dunno

not necessarily the pump that was on my truck slowly got worse at pumping (fuel light kept coming on) I changed the filter it helped a little then got worse and worse:mad: so i changed it with a Napa pump so far so good 8,000 miles;Sweet

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
As far as mechanical pumps go which brand is recommended? For those of us that don't want to go electric?

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For mechanicle pumps carter is the way to go. I've heard of lift pumps puting fuel in the crank case but never seen it my first motor was filling the crank case with fuel buad enough my oil presure was droping off bad at idle every one said it was the lift pump changed it and it did it again then I noticed some smoke in my exhaust at Idle poped my injectors and #2 was leaky and had a bad pattern along with a few week ones changed all 8 fixed the problem when #6 cavitated and I pulled the motor the cylider walls all still had croshatch and the bearings and oil pup were good draind 5galons had about 2 galons of coolant in the crank case too. these engines are pretty tough

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Speak of the Devil .....

Speak of the Devil .....

I just changed the Carter mechanical pump on my 94' yesterday,
it did not dump fuel in the crankcase, but just quit ....

I am going electric ....... ;Sweet

Jim

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The factory fuel pump on my 6.9 motorhome quit at the end of the season 2009.

Right after doing an oil change, I fired it up right after dumping the fresh oil in, and I saw fuel ******* forward, pass the front bumper, i'm like ***?

Turn it off, look around, everything was wet on the passenger side so couldn't really see what it was coming from, checked all hoses, were all fine, so I fired it up again, and looked, that little vent hole on the fuel pump it's self, it was ******* fuel out of that hole.

New Carter fuel pump in, has about 14k miles on it now, no problems.

Odd thing about that failure is it never showed any signs, it simply started ******* fuel out that vent hole. Always started on the first turn of the starter, cold or hot. No fuel smell, nothing in the oil. Just bam all of a sudden! And it was the factory lift pump that had about 140k miles.

Same year, but middle of winter, fuel pump died on my 7.3 (not original, and cant' remember brand), new one is a carter though. That one was showing hard starts, right in the middle of summer, but that's really it, no mixing of fuel into oil.

And one day, just quit, wasn't pumping fuel at all.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am going electric ....... ;Sweet

Jim

Jim, I couldn't agree more. Electric is all I've used and all I will use on my IDI's. That kind of failure is not worth it, not at least to me. I'm an E-pump fan for sure.;Sweet

Heath

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
I don't mean to threadjack but I'm deep in the hunt here....

What is a GOOD electric fuel pump for running WMO blends (high WMO blends) that will last? I've read lots about the Carrier pumps not holding up to the task. Who has personal experience with electric fuel pumps and WMO cocktails???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance