toe to toe with a cummins!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get funny looks when I'm flat out banging gears in my diesel. Sounds like a big block until I let it idle - open element air filter FTL.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get funny looks when I'm flat out banging gears in my diesel. Sounds like a big block until I let it idle - open element air filter FTL.

lol. same here. 3" strait pipe into a 22" long, 4" chrome tip that kicks out in front of the right rear tire. i have no doubt a LOT of people think somethin is wrong with my truck as i come roarin by in cloud of smoke... :slycookoo:rotflmao

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I get alot of people telling me my 460 has a fuel problem and a bad knock at idle (I don't have the Diesel badge on the front)

Or, they tell me my PSD sounds like a gasser :rotflmao:rotflmao

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Wow, I lost a red light race to 15 passenger van, I did beat a 94 Honda Accord wagon. 115mph is my personal best...downhill of course. One thing I like about our NA diesel's is we will never ever have turbo lag.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get alot of people telling me my 460 has a fuel problem and a bad knock at idle (I don't have the Diesel badge on the front)

Or, they tell me my PSD sounds like a gasser :rotflmao:rotflmao

:rotflmao i love that. the day after i got my strait pipe put on, a guy at work told me i had a really bad exhaust leak... ;Really

Wow, I lost a red light race to 15 passenger van, I did beat a 94 Honda Accord wagon. 115mph is my personal best...downhill of course. One thing I like about our NA diesel's is we will never ever have turbo lag.

lmao! im not sure if id call beatin a 94 accord a win... ;p

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Having driven a 94 12V cummins with the 5 speed i would say the cummins accelerates the same as my 7.3 5 speed... *off the line* up untill the trurbo spools up but you can feel that they will pull harder giving a load. Having attemped to "race" the cummins and having "raced" my 7.3 the problem is that with the cummins it accels the same as the 7.3 then you get boost for a quick pull for like .5 of a second then you fall flat on your face on the low RPM governor. with the 7.3 you get more RPM to play with

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the old 12v cummins were only rated at 175hp, and the 6.9 was 160. with only 15hp difference, weight plays a huge roll.

unfortunately, an 08 has a slightly higher ratin... lol.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
yea no i here ya but i was just making a point that we have the advantage of more RPM to play with. Generally diesels with manual transmissions are kinda useless for racing

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I outpulled a Cummins coming home from camping yezsterday, he had a smaller camper and wanted to pass me uphill, I was in fourth 2k, 15 lbs, that is my sweet spot all the way to the governor, wife made me slow down. wimmen.:dunno
he had some work done as I could here him behind me, we were both coalin a little:D

But he didnt pass and did give me the thumbs up when we split in town.;Sweet

What is our govenor at? On my '92 the tach turns yellow at 3200 ish.....does it actually have a governor that i can push it too and hold?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What is our govenor at? On my '92 the tach turns yellow at 3200 ish.....does it actually have a governor that i can push it too and hold?

Yup, the pump will have a govenor.

If I'm not mistaken, if one of our IP's dont have a govenor spring they run away, correct?

Mine is governed to 3300rpm's under load, and 3500rpms free rev.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the pump will have a govenor.

If I'm not mistaken, if one of our IP's dont have a govenor spring they run away, correct?

Mine is governed to 3300rpm's under load, and 3500rpms free rev.

So how safe is it too push them close to that? I.e i normally dont run it much over 2500

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score

Trust me the wait is worth it.:rotflmao:rotflmao:peelout

:rotflmao i love that. the day after i got my strait pipe put on, a guy at work told me i had a really bad exhaust leak... ;Really

lmao! im not sure if id call beatin a 94 accord a win... ;p

Thats goin in my sig.:rotflmao:rotflmao;Sweet

So how safe is it too push them close to that? I.e i normally dont run it much over 2500

Mine stops at 3300... I've gotten there plenty of times in shifting gears, never run the motor over 2500 for extended periods of time. Thats me personally tho...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle