to trust the gauge or not.....

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
86 6.9
normally the oil gauge sits on the high side of normal...once it had fluctuated when it was 8 quarts low (don't ask....theres a reason I am the only one who drives my truck now). this morning it registered normal for about 2 mins, then dropped below the "L"...as it soounded normal I let it run for another 5 mins....no odd or unusual noises...I am thinking the gauge just gave it up, at the same time I really dont want a "semi-educated" guess to turn into an engine replacement.

Thoughts

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory gauge drops off at about 5 psi oil pressure. I would get a real oil gauge on it in a hurry.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will get one tonight, I just needed the truck for a quick lumber run...the fact that sitting there with the engine turning 1500 rpm sounding totally normal has me thinking the gauge functions as well as my fuel and charge gauges

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil gauge is the only one that works like its supposed to. Both of my tanks register empty after getting to a half tank, and (like others here) my ammeter never shows anything, always in the middle. My speedo don't work either ( no tach on my truck.)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the oil presure sender. This device has a potentiometer type component in it that can develop a dead spot and drop out on you. Replace it while your T'ing in your new aftermarket gauge. ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin