To those with 460 ZF5

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like it? What gears, tire size etc are you running? I came a across a screaming deal on one and am gonna pick it up if time works in my favor to get thru the area. I know about drilling the bellhousing and such, but I've been contemplating a 5 speed swap into my 85 almost since day one, and this is too good to pass on. Thanks ahead of time.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 speed is great, it utilizes the low end torque of these engines that the automatics miss out on. The only drawback is the flywheel. For the smoothest most quiet operation you need to use the factory DMF flywheel. If you choose a conversion flywheel setup, expect some noise, which seems to vary depending on how smooth your engine idles. Figure in the clutch in your budget, it's a big expense either way you go.

I am running 35x12.50x15 with 4.10 gears. I was running a c6 and swapping the zf in gave me a 3mpg gain. With these large tires I do need to start out in 1st gear from a stop, just to keep from slipping the clutch all the time. Smaller tires and I could start out in 2nd.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd 5 speed IDI, and I will run the solid flywheel again in this truck. Didn't bother me in the other two trucks. To give you an idea how good of a deal this trans is, with resurfacing the flywheel and a 5 speed clutch/pressure plate kit, I'll be under $500 installed in the truck. I can't pass it up lol.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I think my ZF5 behind the 460 is great. 3.55:1 gears and 35x12.5 tires. Truck hauls ass and cruises just under 2000 RPM at 70 MPH getting 12.5-13 MPG or 10-11 MPG towing 5500 lbs. I only use first when towing or off road. It'll light up the tires starting in second and chirp the 2-3 and 3-4.. The only downside of the ZF5 is the weak aluminum case. I've cracked main cases and ripped the trans mounts off the tailhousing. I'm on my 4th ZF5 in the 460 truck.

I have a diesel ZF5 for the IDI but have not swapped it in yet. I intend to rebuild it first. I understand the diesel ZF5 is a close ratio trans with a higher first and subsequent gears becoming equal in 4th and 5th. I think I will swap a set of 460 ZF5 gears into the IDI ZF5 case to make it a wide ratio with lower gears. My IDI needs all the help it can get, particularly getting moving with a load.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S42 or S47? Although it shouldn't matter, I believe they share the same case and dimensions.

I do know that everything up to, and including, the 6.0 PSD, share the same bellhousing pattern, so that shouldn't be a problem in bolting it to the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online