to stud or not to stud?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
that is the question. i have a reman 6.9 long block ready to go, it even has an oil cooler on it. with all the talk of broken studs etc i am wondering if i should just retorque the stock head bolts and run it. it will have a Banks sidewinder on it. i am not looking for bragging rights for most powerful IDI on earth, just a reliable puller for my new/used 30' travel trailer:D and 16' cargo trailer. the truck is a daily driver and to pull these trailers NA and it does OK.

another reason to not use studs is the cost, between studs and new head gaskets there's a few hund in savings.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Personally, I would. I havent ever heard of any of the ARP studs in the 6.9 kit break. It is a little expensive, but if you down the road ever put a turbo on it, you will have piece of mind. If you have the motor out, I say go for it and put in studs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That, and you had good luck with studs before, didn't you Rob?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
last time it was on an engine i only ended up putting another 15000 miles on and it was NA. but yeah i guess i should consider doing it.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the thing is Ron sounds like this truck is gonna be a keeper for long term so why not just do it right the first time. I'm not saying bolts and new gasket won't work but why take the chance you may have to redo it when your planning on keeping it for awhile

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
ARP studs for the 6.9 are around $250.00. The head gasket kits can be bought right now on Ebay for around $45.00. That includes both head gaskets & vlave seal and valve cover gaskets. Kit is HS 9047. Just do it and be done with it. You can reuse the studs over and over. They don't wear out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stud It! Wish I'd have done the van that way. If I ever have to open her up again, she's gettin' the longshanks.
Mark

GOOD GOD! He's alive!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Where you been Mark? Good to see you posting. Come to the rally this year! :D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
We're talking a fresh engine, correct? How many 6.9's with turbos have HG failures? I'm not talking about guys trying to run 20 psi of boost, but real world daily drivers, and haulers?