to head stud or not

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I would like to put head studs on my truck while I have the heads off but I am not pulling the engine. Before I go and buy them, is it possible to install them with the motor in? I'm hearing mixed ideas on this.

My cousin inlaw got me a great deal on head studs, 215 bucks from ARP.

He can also get me factory head bolts from ford with his discount for 4 bucks a piece.

Thanks!

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crew dually has done his heads in the truck and uses studs, I belive he has to pull the studs though.

If you decide to go with them follow the torque requirements they have.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it but I've been told that you can install head studs with the engine in chassis. The trick to it is to take the large black box for the ducting for the air and blower motor off and maybe remove the evaporator if you have A/C. Then when you remove and reinstall the heads back in place use some rubber bands or zipties to hold the studs/headbolts halfway up so that when you pick up the head the bolts aren't in the block.

George

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just have to remove the plastic housing, then you don't have to hold them in the head, the way I understand it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If. You do the studs you don't need to tighten and loosen them 5 times like I have incourged others to do in the past....:eek:... I know some are going to kill me for this but... Truth speaks loud and clearly here.... Some have installed ARP studs without doing it like the company suggests.... And they are up and running fine without issues.. Many miles in this decision for me to post this information... What tightening and loosening does is it breaks down the friction between the stud, nut and washer. It actually works because I proved it myself. We even have a few members that have installed studs by removing one bolt at a time and putting in a studs.... One member broke the last bolt washer on the final torque. He just replaced that one washer on that head.... No issues either..... Sometimes a person can get away with murder... Sometimes they can't.....:eek::angel: Gee.... I wonder who got away with murder in this state......:eek::angel:

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If. You do the studs you don't need to tighten and loosen them 5 times like I have incourged others to do in the past....:eek:... I know some are going to kill me for this but... Truth speaks loud and clearly here.... Some have installed ARP studs without doing it like the company suggests.... And they are up and running fine without issues.. Many miles in this decision for me to post this information... What tightening and loosening does is it breaks down the friction between the stud, nut and washer. It actually works because I proved it myself. We even have a few members that have installed studs by removing one bolt at a time and putting in a studs.... One member broke the last bolt washer on the final torque. He just replaced that one washer on that head.... No issues either..... Sometimes a person can get away with murder... Sometimes they can't.....:eek::angel: Gee.... I wonder who got away with murder in this state......:eek::angel:

Thanks Gary, I'm going to go for the studs.;Sweet

Scary thing is, I have to drive this damn truck 300 miles back home as soon as we get it back together. Kinda makes me nervous.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nervous about what.... The work is going to make things better than a stock truck... So if anything, you will have a much better truck without issues... Sure... You could be hit by some airline frozen blue ice too but how much of a chance is there of that happening... You will be fine...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828