Tires: Bias/steel side wall/radial/steer/traction/all terrain/etc?

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yon can buy a hot knife and regroove or sipe tires yourself.

Just bought a set of Hankook Dynapro m/t's this fall for my chebbie to the tune of 950$. Absolutely USELESS in rain, slush, and ice covered roads. A mud tire will never compare to a good a/t type tire in those conditions. The dynapro A/T's I had before on the truck were 10 times the tire in the same conditions. Ive had many different sets of mud tires before including super swampers and they dont cut the grade when winter time driving is a huge concern like it is here in Wisconsin. They are designed for mud, not maximum highway traction. The only reason I bought the mud tires this time was because I had a big contract that required 6 months of my truck being operated off road daily, otherwise I never would have considered it. Im driving down ice and snow covered roads every other day up here in the winter months and a good winter tire is very important...

I've been running ground hawgs and they are good. I was driving in the 2'+ of snow we had a couple weeks ago. And when the highways weren't cleared of a few inches I was running 45ish on the highway a few months ago. They also can be studded. However with a lights coating they seem to be only a little better than BFG ATs. I have had no issues with rain like I did with my swampers in the rain.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yon can buy a hot knife and regroove or sipe tires yourself.

I've been running ground hawgs and they are good. I was driving in the 2'+ of snow we had a couple weeks ago. And when the highways weren't cleared of a few inches I was running 45ish on the highway a few months ago. They also can be studded. However with a lights coating they seem to be only a little better than BFG ATs. I have had no issues with rain like I did with my swampers in the rain.

Try making a panic stop in those conditions with those tires. My buddy totalled his 79 bronco 2 weeks after a $5k paint job by just going over a few wet leaves on the road and losing control; all with brand new denman ground hawgs on all four corners. That would be the last tire Id consider for winter time driving. Im not talking about being able to dig through snow, Im talking about being able to maintain control when I need to, i.e stopping...

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I have had no issues. I had to make a panic stop on the highway a few moths ago, no sliding. My driveway is a hill so I always test tractionon the way down in bad weather. Where I work is also a BIG hill to get in and while I've had trouble getting up it due to the ****** plowing they do there (without 4x4), I've never slid down it.

The only time I can think of was trying to take a right turn too quickly when the roads were snow covered so I just started to go straight and then the tires locked up.