tire size .vs. gear ratio

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When doing calculations, keep in mind the ACTUAL tire size.
My 35" BFG's are actually 34"
The military 37's are actually somewhere around 35 1/2"
So the difference between the 2 isn't as much as it seems.

Edit: looks like Bob beat me to it

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i got the springs on tonight.. i am thinking my springs are 4" cause now the front only sits about in inch higher than the rear.. probably end up going with the 35s range..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i got the springs on tonight.. i am thinking my springs are 4" cause now the front only sits about in inch higher than the rear.. probably end up going with the 35s range..

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS ;Poke

just sayin....

:popcorn

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(ACTUAL) tire size is found by measuring the circumference and divide by pie (3.14)

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm running 285-75-16's and wouldn't mind 4:56 gears for towing. I know most guys like getting the rpm's down for fuel economy but these trucks really need gear to tow. 4:56's and a brownie would be optimal.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know why my avatar doesn't show anymore? i tried to update it and now nothing shows

Probably because you spilled the beans and said it was a pic of a Toyota - this is a real truck forum, you have been moderated???LOL

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.. fortunately the only thing left toyota is the cab and bed, the rest is custom frame, military rockwell axles, transfer case, big block chevy, and a slew of other goodies..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol.. fortunately the only thing left toyota is the cab and bed, the rest is custom frame, military rockwell axles, transfer case, big block chevy, and a slew of other goodies..

Who ever said a BBC was a goodie...this is an IDI forum here not BBC ;Poke LOL

:popcorn

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 33x12.50r16.5s on my rig with no lift and they fit pretty good.

Remember those military tires are 16.5s and they may be bias ply. 16.5s are getting to be harder to come by so you'd be limiting you're options without changing the rims. Not a big deal, just food for thought.

I've got 3.55s in my rig and they work decently. I'd like to move to a 3.73 but 3.55 works. Granted I've got a turbo so the powerband is a bit different. I tow ~6k commonly and up to ~10+ rarely.

Personally I like the lower ratio to get cruise rpms down. With my setup I'm running ~2100 rpm at 70 in 5th which is a good unloaded truck speed/rpm combo - I dislike running at higher rpm and feel 18-2100 is about optimal for power and economy. For towing I'm usually in 4th doing ~2300 rpm at 55-60 which is also a pretty good combo.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck is also factory turbo'd with 3.55s.. but with bgger tires, an hauing the heavier loads on a semi-regulare basis i think 35s and 4.56s may be good..