Tire separation again!

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had another General tire separate a day ago. I wasn't hauling much of a load, maybe 700 lbs if that. I have my pressures up where they belong. I really want 19.5 wheels and tires but the price for adapters and wheels or wheels alone is pretty scary. Any good tire recommendations? I want a taller tire to fit stock dually wheels without spacers on a 2000. I have heard Cooper makes one. I haul a pretty heavy camper at times so a E rated tire is just about mandatory.
Kevin

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I don't think 19.5 rubber is the best choice your better off sticking with 16" rubber. I have packed some pretty heavy loads on 16" rubber I don't think you ever could get 9000lbs in the box of your truck. You know minimum pressure for Lt 235/85-16E is 70-75 PSI I don't give a rats *** what it says on the door panel. You run solid stems on you wheels which are rated for 80 PSI you shouldn't have problems. I have had those rubber stems pop out or leak.

As for a bigger tire on a dually that isn't going to happen with 16x6 wheels which are already maxed out for width with 235 rubber.

If you are looking for a better tire then you will have to go with a light truck commercial tire. The Michelin XPS series is one of them the Bridgestone V-Steel and Toyo Hyperradials M-54 and M-55.

The LTX M/S Michelins are pretty good I'am trying them for steer tires I have about 11,600kms 7234 miles on them so far they have about 50% tread left if I get another 11,000kms out of them I will be happier than a pig in ****. They are wearing better than the other brand I had got about 13,000kms 8078miles out of them.

I was a little choked at the price of the LTX M/S but now that I have had them for awhile I prolly will buy them again for steers and close my eyes when I write the check for 500 dollars.

For drive tires I been using nothing but Bandag retreads there has been a set on my truck since I bought it I put 19,000kms on the truck since I owned it. I don't know how many kms the previous owner put on them but currently they are down to 40% left.

I think one of the reasons why the Bandags last so long is the 21/32nd tread depth plus the tread cap is the same rubber compound used for class 08 trucks so its hard. Its not very sticky I thing it would really help if it was siped it would grab wet pavement better.

In the 12 years I have been running 1 ton dually flatdeck trucks doing trucking I never had a tire blow out on the highway. The loads I carry are never light always above 2000lbs the heaviest ever was 9000lbs.

I check the tire pressure about once a month I give the tires a look over weekly for bulges and stone drilling or sidewall cuts.

The biggest killer for tires is heat if your living in California you may want to run nothing but a rib/highway tire it runs the coolest. A tire with lugs creates more friction and builds heat in the tire to the point it will explode.

Some good candidates from Michelin would be XPS RIB,LTX M/S, LTX A/S BFGoodrich Commercial T/A allseason Toyo Hyperradial M-54 Bridgstone makes a bunch of rib tread styles. If you stick with nothing but pavement all you need is a highway tread.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the culprit was broken belts/cords. These were the stock generals and they had at least 80psi in them. I have a 10.5 foot alpenlite durango camper and I have been known to tow behind that with my torklift hitch. Michelins may be the answer. The tire still has air in it but the tread is coming apart and you can see the broken belts.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The worst part of the belts breaking is you don't know till the last moment when the tire starts thumping. The worst tire for tire bulges etc was Uniroyal they were the worst the second is Goodyear, third is the Cavalier/King (Sport king,Traction King Allseason King).

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what size you're running right now, but cooper has 2 private lines that make a 255/85R16, that will fit the stock wheels (assuming you have the aluminum outers) without rubbing. Delta sierriadials are the ones that I have on mine. I have over 40k on the tires, with between 75-80% of the tread still there. http://www.deltatire.com/catalog/tireDetails.asp?tID=25&tCatID=2&tireCat=LT

Note the UTOG rating of 500, this rating tells you how the rubber compound will wear. (the higher number the better).

The other line is called sigma (Tire Kingdom's house brand, also made by cooper) these are also available in a 255/85R16. And the specific tire is called the stampede.

Of the two I'd recommend the delta sierradial, but both are good tires.
Hope this helps. :)

Big Red CC Dually

Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
I had another General tire separate a day ago. I wasn't hauling much of a load, maybe 700 lbs if that. I have my pressures up where they belong. I really want 19.5 wheels and tires but the price for adapters and wheels or wheels alone is pretty scary. Any good tire recommendations? I want a taller tire to fit stock dually wheels without spacers on a 2000. I have heard Cooper makes one. I haul a pretty heavy camper at times so a E rated tire is just about mandatory.
Kevin

You may actually have too much pressure in them a 80#. According to the tire makers for the LTX 235/85/16 Michelin I run, I should be running about 35# - 40# in the duals. At 80# they have little flex and I would guess that they would be more prone to bruising on potholes, railroad tracks, curbs etc. than at 40#. This website is Michelin's http://www.michelintruck.com/michel...newprod/Treadsbyapplication.jsp?application=U Look at the inflation guide for your size tire.

Vegas Max

Reaction score
I've got the same tire (Generals) on my '05 dually. I had the same ones on my '95 3500 also. What junk they are! -cuss They started to come apart at 32K, so I replaced them with Michelens and they were still on it 9 years later when I sold the truck 94K miles later!
I had a set of 1st run Alcoa classic 19.5 direct bolt-ons with Michelins ordered for the '05, but after 6 weeks or longer, I couldn't get the manufacturer to confirm a delivery date, so I canceled the order :Whatever: My supplier has a picture of an '05 crew cab with the Alcoas on it and man it looks sharp ;Sweet I told him when they can confirm a manufacture date, I would reorder the tires and wheels. The price was about $4500. for wheels, tires, mounted, balanced and shipping. All I know is I should be getting my D.O.T./ MC permits shortly and I don't want to be out on the road with the General "rags" on my truck :puke:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some Uniroyal Laredos that gave me a tread separation and delamination on the dually. I've been thinking about taking Towcat's advice and getting some Bridgestones. He says they have a much stiffer wall without the $100 higher price of the Michelins. My last blowout cost $2900 in fender and running board replacement, undercarriage wiring, running lights. New 19.5 wheels and tires would be expensive, but it doesn't take too many to make the price seem cheap. Each 19.5 wheel and tire weighs a LOT more than a 16 inch tire and wheel. Anybody know how much?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my .02......
my favorite from the last ten years is the Bridgestone R265.(poke here for pic linky) To me, they do an excellent job for the cost. My F450 routinely packs 15k gross and the loads can have a tall center of gravity. Anything with a "flexible" sidewall, I have seperated if not blown up. This included Cooper SRM, Kuhmo A/T, Firestone R4S and many others I don't remember. Best luck I've had is with the commercial grade stuff. Goodyear G159, Michelin XPS steel, and Bridgestone R265. Problem is price.....goodyears(over 200), michelin(200) and bridgestone(costco132) do six tires and it adds up..... good....any of the three will pack wieght. All wore evenly even with my wacky loading situations....(unloaded 9200/ loaded 16k/17k) The bad....these tires make awful mud and snow tires. But then again, a F450 car carrier makes a bad off road vehicle too. Bottom line is you are going to get what you pay for in tires. Even though there are "E" range 235/85/16's out there that cost $90, there is just no way they can go up against the three I gave the thumbs up to.

FLRin29

VIRUS FREE!
Reaction score
Monte
Actually alluminum 19.5's from www.ricksontruck.com only weigh 30 lbs each.They are lower priced than Alcoa's,and they look damn good on our trucks.The ride is also much improved and the tires are of a much better quality than 16 or 17 inch LT tires,with higher weight ratings.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FLR,

I think the thing you are forgetting is the weight of the entire wheel and tire, not just the wheel. A friend of mine that bought the 19.5 Ricksons says the tires make the combination a LOT heavier than the originals. And the additional weight is unsprung. They are 12 to 16 plys depending on what you get. When you get Alcoa's, you run the original steel wheels on the inside of the dually. I'd like to know what additional weight the 19.5's put on the truck. I've been thinking about 19.5's for two years, but the cost holds me back. My quote from Les Schwab for Alcoa's was cheaper than Ricksons with all the shipping, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat,

Carlos around the corner from you quoted me about $1200 for a set of six Bridgestones out the door. Do you remember the out-the-door price for the Bridgestones at Costco? Do they mount tires on rigs this large? I don't think the little lifts they use could raise my truck/camper. If they can do it, maybe that's the best way to go. I do take my rig onto an occasional beach, and I've never been too happy about doing it. Do you think that's asking for trouble?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte-
i've been told the largest they will do is a 1ton. So technically yours is ok. I've never had tires mounted and balanced there so I can't tell you for sure if they do or not. Carlos will mount and balance tires that he doesn't sell, so if need be, he can do it too.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Monte,
I know when i got my tires at Sam's Club they ( -cuss alot! i went in at 6:00 pm on a Friday!) used a floor jack. I went 285 on a dually and had to sign a waiver. The manager also said if they could not break the lugs loose, they would give me one shot at it, after that I was done. This was the first time the lugs were off after I bought it. PB Blaster and the tech had to work, but he got them off. He also got a cash tip from me, his manager nada!

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the tire prices compare between Sam's Club and Costco? I don't belong to Sam's Club, but we have a Walmart or two here....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online