Tips to help keep my egt down without takin the smoke away?

shafermartinez

Reaction score
So I have a 85 6.9 With the ATS kit with the 2000 turbo. i just put a 5 speed out of a 95 powerstoke in it my truck is turned up a little and if i go up any steep hills i have to watch my pyro close so i dont get hot.... and thats without pulling a trailer anyone have any advice for me... it will pull anything on flat ground but the hills worry me...

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intercooler/ram air. and are you downshifting? pulling loads with this issue involves a lot of gauge watching. keep your rpms in a range that is in the torque band above 1600 i belive correct me if im wrong someone anddont lug it on a pull quicker is not always better lol

shafermartinez

Reaction score
whats the cheepest way about getting a intercooler? and how much does that help?i never let my truck get over 1100 and that even makes me mad my cruize temp on the freeway is 600-800

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheapest? hmmmm well 93 dodge cummins came with a stock one rob one i guess dunno if itll fit er not lol. intercoolers work wonders with egts if set up right. exact numbers im not sure but i know a lot of people on here do but intercooler will cut the smoke a bit too due to denser air

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to decide whether you want a work truck or a play truck.

Anything that makes big smoke also makes high EGTs, especially in a heavy towing situation.

An intercooler may help a very little, but will not be a high EGT cure-all.

Like said, keep one eye glued to the gauges and keep the RPMs up --- way up.

The increased engine RPM drafts a high volume of cooling air through the engine.

I can turn my main fuel-screw the least bit and make my engine into a fire-breathing dragon, but the least little hill then puts my EGTs through the roof.

I backed the screw out a bit, lost a lot of black smoke, and can now crest most grades at under 1300* ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats the cheepest way about getting a intercooler? and how much does that help?i never let my truck get over 1100 and that even makes me mad my cruize temp on the freeway is 600-800
That depends, among other things, on your fabrication skills. A new bolt-on intercooler setup from Hypermax goes for $1,445 from their site...OTOH, if you can weld (or at the very least have someone fab up the connecting pipes), you can graft an intercooler out of a '99+ PSD onto your truck. You can find one of these IC's on eBay and such for about $200 IIRC.

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4911 This thread is well worth your time.

As the other poster said, the other things you can do is keep your foot off the pedal and/or downshift...

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm i thought a big intercooler could do more than just a little i knw it wasnt a cure but i figured theyed to bettern just a few degrees. im more familiar with road tractor applications anyway lol.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm i thought a big intercooler could do more than just a little i knw it wasnt a cure but i figured theyed to bettern just a few degrees. im more familiar with road tractor applications anyway lol.
IIRC towcat's 7.3l's running at about 400 degrees at 70 to 75 mph...that's a crew-cab dualie weighing between 7500 and 8000 lbs, with an ATS 093 and intercooler. At 75 mph, my non-intercooled 6.9l's running at 700 to 800 degrees...with an ATS 088 turbo and no intercooler, and weighing about 7000 lbs.

So, as MIDNIGHT RIDER pointed out, it's not a cure-all, but I do contend that it will help, and that the difference is not insignificant...although this is based on comparisons on different trucks; I won't be able to say for absolutely certain until I get my intercooler installed :angel:

shafermartinez

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys i am new to this site or you could say computer stupid.. do any of you know where there are some pictures of people who have done this to a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI I can weld and fab some things. my buddy has a intercooler out of a 2006 megacab i think might work i just dont know the best way to run pipes ect.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An intercooler will drop your EGT's by 200 and add about 20-30hp in my estimation. Definitely worthwhile. Do a search, as there is an existing thread showing all kinds of home brew intercooler setups.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about a air to water intercooler? they can be had a ebay for around $100;Sweet
use a on demand (Flo-jet) water pump with a 5psi hob switch, & a large oil cooler for the radiator. just my thoughs out loud:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
How about you just back your fuel down.

All the high EGTs shows in half burned fuel(black smoke). All you are doing is ******* off the guy behind you and giving all the tree huggers more fuel to burn us. Be smart and just cut the fuel back. You will have less smoke and lower EGTs and most likely better fuel mileage

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats the point **** off the guy behind you hahaha er else mine would be cut back. i aint worried about no tree huggers ima blow as much smoke as i can till we git emissions test around here hahaha

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
"Tips to help keep my egt down without takin the smoke away?"

Buy a Cummins and join the rest of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online