Tips for installing a new Injector kit?

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Injector Installation kit aka Fuel return kit for my F350. I have never worked on any type diesel before, anyone have any tips? I hope to complete the job over the weekend. It is pumping fuel onto the intake pretty good, so it is my first task, other than the Ebrake.

Thanks!
Trey

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Ok, Step one is remove all the lines and caps and o rings. Measure the hose in between caps and cut. Put the caps and hoses back together. Install new o rings on injectors. Take some motor oil or some sort of lubercant and put on the o rings right before you install the caps. hook everything up but leave the injector lines cracked, crank the motor over for about 15 seconds or so with your foot planted on the floorboard. If it starts before then, shut it off and tighten up the injector lines. If it doesn't let it set for a couple minutes and do it again, until fuel comes out of the injector lines that are cracked, once fuel comes out, start it and let the air work its way out and check for leaks. The caps should just slide on there this way, and the hoses should be the right length.

Hope this Helps

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll add this. Make sure everything is clean. Any dirt will ruin the injectors. I wear white surgical gloves and change them when they show any dirt. Brake cleaner will really help clean things up before you start this job. Get a dental pick that the dentist uses to clean your teeth. This helps when removing the o-rings and when installing them too. The first o-ring fits into the top slot. Then the bottom one rolls over that to the bottom. Take the bottom one off first over the top one. Remember to reinstall all the hard line clamps or you will be replacing some. The injection pump pushing diesel thru then creates vibration and they crack. You don't want that. If you remove the hard lines from the injectors and the pump remember the pattern. Each cylinder is numbered on the intake manifold at the heads. Mark them if you take them off. You don't really need to remove them but if its easier for you then do it. When you try to start it have the injection pump throttle held open by hand full. This way it pushes more fuel thru the lines and shortens the cranking time. Don't crank for longer than 20 seconds and wait for about 3 minutes between cranking times. The starter will get really hot and burn up otherwise. Post back for any additional help.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
I just finished kit install. You might enjoy a smoother engine idle. Mine ran much smoother after the kit install. Good luck. I used vasoline to lube the rings and caps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like everybody forgot this topic is well covered in a tech article, pictures and all. I have a link to it in my sig.

86F3504x4

Reaction score
I used Mel's tutorial.Changed the IP,injectors,
return lines all in one fell swoop.Took about
3 hours total.Completely painless.Truck started
right up!;Sweet