Timing question. I'm a little confused

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to checking the timing on my IP. I replaced the injectors last summer and athough I had a used but in new condition Snap On MT480 meter complete with the lumey probe, I didn't check the timing at that time. I just advanced the timing until it sounded and felt right to me. When I checked it with the meter yesterday it was at 2* ATDC. From reading Mel's info on timing, I understand that when using the lumey/mag method it should be at 5*. I also understand that rotating the IP toward the passenger side advances the timing and toward the driver's side retards it. I went out today to adjust it to get the 5* ATDC. I rotated it a little farther toward the passenger side and came up with .5 to 1 ATDC at 1400 rpm. So then I rotated it back toward the driver's side to the point where the static timing marks were even, or so close to even that I couldn't tell if they weren't. When I checked it this time I was getting 4.5 - 5* ATDC. So I'm confused, did I acutally further advance the timing to get it to where it's at now or did I retard it? In other words is 5* ATDC more advanced or more retarded than 1* ATDC? I understand that 5* BTDC is advanced from 1* BTDC, is ATDC just the opposite?

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 deg ATDC is more retarded than 1 deg ATDC. ATDC is retarded and BTDC is advanced. TDC = Top Dead Center.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That completely makes sense now. I don't know why I couldn't get my mind wrapped around it, I guess it was too simple! LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many times the simple problems turns out to be us and not the item were working on. You have it correct.. The atdc reading of 5 is more towards the after timing to want... Same as btdc timing increases the more you increase the number... Its the direction your going. Advance it turning the pump towards the passenger fender. So of cource turning it the other way is retarding it. Its not till you reach top dead center timing is where it changes from advance to retarded...We have a friend that was visiting my mil. He wanted to do some cooking. He needed a 2/3rds cup measureing cup... Couldn't find one anywhere. He was really fixated on that cup.. Til someone told him to use the 1/3 cup twice... I dropped by his house about 30 years ago and was watching him and his fil trying to install a sears garage door opener. I listened to them both reading the instructions trying to figure out the wireing. The continued to say the U P circut... So I decided to read the instructions.. Sure nuff... They were overthinking the writeup.. The "UP" circut is what they kept calling the U P circut.... Heres your signs guys... Ever wonder why we always find what we are looking for in the last place we looked for it... Now thats a tuff one to answer...:angel:

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many times the simple problems turns out to be us and not the item were working on. You have it correct.. The atdc reading of 5 is more towards the after timing to want... Same as btdc timing increases the more you increase the number... Its the direction your going. Advance it turning the pump towards the passenger fender. So of cource turning it the other way is retarding it. Its not till you reach top dead center timing is where it changes from advance to retarded...We have a friend that was visiting my mil. He wanted to do some cooking. He needed a 2/3rds cup measureing cup... Couldn't find one anywhere. He was really fixated on that cup.. Til someone told him to use the 1/3 cup twice... I dropped by his house about 30 years ago and was watching him and his fil trying to install a sears garage door opener. I listened to them both reading the instructions trying to figure out the wireing. The continued to say the U P circut... So I decided to read the instructions.. Sure nuff... They were overthinking the writeup.. The "UP" circut is what they kept calling the U P circut.... Heres your signs guys... Ever wonder why we always find what we are looking for in the last place we looked for it... Now thats a tuff one to answer...:angel:

Thanks! I have trouble with the simple stuff sometime! LOL. So why does the lumey/mag method use ATDC and the pulse method use BTDC? If I have it timed at 5* ATDC with the lumey/mag and then I check the timing using the pulse method will it give me the coresponding BTDC reading?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks! I have trouble with the simple stuff sometime! LOL. So why does the lumey/mag method use ATDC and the pulse method use BTDC? If I have it timed at 5* ATDC with the lumey/mag and then I check the timing using the pulse method will it give me the coresponding BTDC reading?

THe pulse reads teh expansion of teh injection line as the fuel is being squeezed into the injector right before it pops, the lumy sensor reads the flame in the swirl port visually AFTER ignition has already happened, which is a few milliseconds later, hence the AFTER tdc reading