TIMING MARKS FOR TIMING LIGHTS...Tech 101

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al for bumping up these pics and all you have done with timing pics.....:hail:hail:thumbsup::love::sly

Thanks Gary,

I may just do a full on TECH 101 on timing, from bare front of engine and alignment of all the timing marks on the various gears, to a closed front with timing tabs and so forth. Then all the way up to timing the IP and so on...in time...in time...pun inteded!

One consolidated thread is what I"m thinking that encompasses all the various methods and issues that happen, including missreading a meter with a - sign buwa ha ha...

It would sure streamline this whole thing and then stick it into tech articles...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That would be great Al.. If you do this please draw the lines on the injection pump gear so others can see how simple it is and use the square showing the lines aligning on top of the plate that covers the gears. Mostly the line from the top of the gear down thru the bottom "Y" mark is I think the best to use showing the gear is directly vertical to the marks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a great thing to add to the tech articles. I've wanted to do one for years, but the time is always the problem.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scribing a line on the IP gear is actually shown in the manual. There is a reference to dye on the gear teeth of the cam gear. I haven't seen that in my limited experience. Russ (typ 4) files a chamfer on the cam gear teeth on each side of the timing marks to see them with the front cover on. In the photo I have a straightedge behind the gear. I used the straightedge in front of the gear to scribe a horizontal line, but the line isn't visible in the photo. I placed the gear one tooth out to check and it was obvious the line was no longer horizontal. I wish now I had used a visible marker and documented it better.

Attachments

• DSC00119.jpg
    DSC00119.jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Image (14).jpg
    Image (14).jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Image (15).jpg
    Image (15).jpg
    489 KB · Views: 26

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at this....
You must be registered for see images attach

It shows 5.2 @1400 rpm....????
And wonder about the 600 rpm difference?!
Seems Mel said at 2k the timing cam is all in, did something change?
Am I seeing the advance ring influence?
As the timing seems to move alot from 1400-2000 (on my meter anyhow) anyone care to shed some light/explain?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At 2000 rpm all the advance is taken out of the pump be centrifugal force. What you are reading is the lumi type of timing at 1400 rpm.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duhhhhh ( brainfart) yep "need more coffey"
Thanx