timing idi with tech time pulse

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
HI, I just bought an old surplus tech time diesel timing machine and I am having problems getting pulse adapter in the 20 degree mark. Can I secure it better and use the other hole that I assume is TDC.I set my offset to zero in that hole and at 2000 rpm I am reading 19.5 degrees. Something doesn't seem right . Anny help would be appreciated. thank you, Steve

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Why can't you use the 20 degree one? Take a 5/16 drill bit and some wd40 and clean it out if you can't get the probe in

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
did you get it figured out? does your tech time have the timing light also? i love my tech time cause if i cant get a good crank reading from the pickup i switch over to the timing light and do it that way.

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
No I did get it in 20 degree hole but my problem be numbers are all over the place. I don't have the light but I need to get it.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
yep, sand some paint off number one line, enough to get the line clamp and the ground clamp hooked. if it still is going nuts, try it on cyl 4. you can time them off cyl 4 also.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to go to 2 business cards to get a stable signal with mine. I've had fits getting the probe in every adapter. 5/16 bit will glide in easy. Slop around even. Probe was a no-go. Ended up taking some off the probe.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a little c ring on the probe that is supposed to push on the tube for positioning, it can prevent the probe from bottoming out. I ended up removing the c ring on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster