Time to go through the engine, questions and concerns though.

Reaction score
I am asking these questions now before I start formulating a plan to get that heavy piece of iron out of my F350. Because I am going as far as I am during this over haul I want to make sure I address as much as I can on my 16 year old 7.3 powered tow rig. First thing, is there anything I should know before I try to yank this engine from the frame rails? The front clip is already pulled and I am “considering” pulling the crew cab as well. Because I lack most of the equipment needed for such a task, I am putting plans together to build an A-frame. Before I do what all would you recommend to get this engine out? I have pulled many-a-gasser so I am assuming there is not much difference. Not having a suitable engine stand is the next obstacle. Now, I would love nothing more than to tear this thing down to the bear block and start over. However, I cannot even afford to consider such a plan. So, what would be the most common problem areas I should address on a 95 7.3? Where should I look for leaks and what should I go ahead and do while the engine is out? Also, I am hoping I can at least pull the heads and do some top end work. If I do, would that be a bad idea considering there are around 180,000 miles on the engine? The last time I did the top end only the bottom end gave out a few months later. But that was a beat down gasser. Also, I have a complete donor 7.3 from a 97 F350. What should I pull from that engine that might improve my 95?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rear main seal,harmonic balancer seal.wouldnt hurt to do the head gaskets.if you can afford it,head studs are a good idea.replace all the turbo pedistal o rings,up pipe donuts(use small block chevy exhaust donuts).gut the EBPV unless you plan to use it as an exhaust brake.cut the EBPV actuator rod off and tap the hole in the pedistal for a pipe plug,or replace the orings inside the pedistal if you plan on keeping the EBPV.

you really dont need anything off the other motor unless you want to swap your timing cover.if you do you need to use the oil pickup and oil pan that goes with the timing cover.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
if the motor is out Id do the front cover gaskets and o rings, along with the others rich said, also oil cooler, and exhaust manifold gaskets. dont forget the hpop rail plugs.

Reaction score
I really want to pull the heads for some mods as well has install some heads studs. But I have mt doubts I will be able to go that far. The other stuff sounds simple and affordable, thanks for the input.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the transmission before you pull the engine and reverse on install. It is so much easier to clear the crossmember. Replace the fuel return lines. I found out the hard way.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the transmission before you pull the engine and reverse on install. It is so much easier to clear the crossmember. Replace the fuel return lines. I found out the hard way.

he has the nose off.and with the nose still on it just lift the motor enough to turn it sideways,itll come right and go right back in with the tranny still in.

Reaction score
I would like to pull the engine and trans in one shot. But the wieght it just too much. I am having a hard enough time locating the propper equipment just for thr engine. So that means I will have to pull them seperately. Thanks for the heads up on the fuel lines, I did not think of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online