Tight Banks Turbo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My last 180 mile run saw a lower boost pressure. Kinda low hp buttometer seat of the pants feeling. So I looked for a boost leak or exhaust leak.. Found none. Removed the cdr and filter adapter and ran the engine. Inlet fan was turning and looked good. Pulled the fuel shutoff solenoid wire from the injection pump to kill and watch the turbo spool down. It stopped really quickly. So I tried to spin it by my fingers and it was tight... Well... Lucky me... I had a spare Banks wastegated turbo I had rebuilt about 5 years ago.. So I installed it. Test ran the engine today and all seems well. Tomorrow I will drive it and see what the boost is. Why would a turbo shaft be hard to spin. I understand they run of an oil floatation wedge but it sure is diffucult to spin by hand. I ALWAYS cool the exhaust temp to 300 or lower befor I shut down the engine. I understand oil above 300 degrees will cook in the bearing sleeves and ruin a shaft. I change oil at 3000 miles and only use Chevron Delo 15W40. Thanks for any ideas. I will be getting this now spare turbo repaired too.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
How many miles are on it?
Mine is worn out and even with my huge exhaust leak i was still boosting above 15psi before i took my truck off the road for some much needed repairs

I dont have a banks tho i have a ats

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SWAG, coked bearings. Not to hard to believe you had a spare behind the seat, but for 5 years. :rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This turbo has maybe 18,000 miles on it. The other turbo had around 200,000 miles on it when I felt it needed to be rebuilt. Later when I removed it I found the exhaust blade had severe damage from an glow plug tip. All dinged up. This one I took off was a new unit from Banks when I built this engine. That cost fore ther turbo was $1100.00 cause Banks wont sell turbo parts. They sell complete bolt on turbo units. No seals.. blades or internal parts. But all the mounting parts down to a washer.. Kinda odd way of doing business..

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just so that they can rap whoever they wont cause there are only 2 people who make turbos for our trucks.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get turbo parts, it's a Mitsubishi TE06H turbo, nothing really that special. The wheels and housings maybe, but I'd pretty sure the guts aren't that special.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726