ticking sound seems like coming from valve cover

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ticking noise its very fast at idle, it sounds like its coming from my driver side valve cover, what can I check for?

also it sort of sounds like a metal on metal noise while driving and changes with rpms

sort of nervous something will grenade in there If I dont check soon, I just don't know what I can look for.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad rocker arm, broken valvespring, most likely rocker but check carefully and SOON

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case it might help, here's a pic from my 7.3 with the cover off.

Attachments

• RockerArms.jpg
    RockerArms.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 39

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the pictures and suggestions fellas, now how hard are these things to replace? and where can I find parts if broken

also what can this escalate too if unchecked

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You local ford or international dealer will have parts or you could go down to you local napa or the like.

Worst it will do is drop a valve which would render the piston broken into pieces and the rod bent in the shape of a "S" with the wrist pin sticking out the side of the block.... Been there done that and it happens pretty quick in some cases. I think mine ran for something like 10 mins tops when it started until the rod poked out the side the engine block.............. this was all done at idle and just off idle conditons....

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yikes, not good my truck has been doing this for atleast 4-500 miles I originally thought it was an injector

well looks like I'll be picking up some valve cover gaskets and getting to work

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so when I remove the rocker arm the pushrod is going to come with it right? how can I tell if the rocker arms are worn? what are some tell tale signs