Tick/Click/Clack

Brian085

Reaction score
I have noticed a noise from my truck at idle only it seems, at least at idle is only when I can hear it since any higher RPM drowns it out. Its not heard to much at first start but begins shortly after it seems. It sounds like a metalish tapping or clacking. I can't seem to pin point where it is coming from.

I pulled the inspection cover by the TC and do not hear the noise any louder or less. I heard of a possible issue with the starter gear hitting. Doesn't seem to be my issue.

I bought a stethoscope from Harbor Freight (on sale 3.99) which then I went around the engine and did not find a place that sounded where the noise would be coming from.

I checked the accelerator cable by injector 8 and it does have the foam on it.

The manifolds look pretty clean besides the driver rear which was seeping some oil out. So doesn't look to be an exhaust leak?

I can pretty much hear the noise all over. Sounds sorta pinpointed a tad when listening from the driver side wheel well. Like in the video at 1:08

Here is a video

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/darkalien_2006/?action=view&current=IMG_0484.mp4

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok finally someone with a video that explains what mine is also doing ;Sweet. I went up a hill the other day to give my truck a workout....because this always seemed to clear up that same ticking noise that my truck has....well I drove it again today and the tick is already back lol. The inconsistent ticking noise is very apparent around 1:30 on your video. A few members on here seem to think my problem may be a hydraulic lifter tick caused by one or more worn lifters, based on how they described my engine situation. I am thinking that's what your problem is too.

Last edited:

Brian085

Reaction score
120k miles and has lifter issues already? Any way to rule down for sure? How how changing them out

Brian085

Reaction score
Ill get some oil additive and see if that quiets it down some. I was kinda hoping this would be injectors since the system looks original. Might just sell the truck.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try cracking the injector lines to see if the knock goes away. If the noise does go away, it may be in need of new injectors.
Replacing lifters is no big deal. If you have basic mechanics skills, you can get that job done in a day. I plan on replacing mine when I slap some new head gaskets on my rig.

Brian085

Reaction score
Do you have to pull the heads to do it? Any how to guides?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
You do not have to pull the heads, the intake manifold does come off. I agree with you Brian that 120k is far too early for lifters or guides to be on there way out; but they seem to be common issues with 7.3's.... They usualy run for many many miles that way though, I wouldn't panic about replacing anything.

Your lifters could be sticky from previous dirty oil, try some Auto-RX to clean em up. Rislone engine treatment works also.

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
Sounds like the same issue i have been dealing with. I have noticed with mine that after it sits for a couple of days it doesnt tick/clack untill the oil pressure gets to the top of the engine. This and some other throuble shooting is how i have determined its a lifter. i hope that is all thats wrong with yours. I will be pulling my lifters as soon as i get the chance and will post the results. Like stated above, crack each injector one at a time while running. If its an injector or broke piston the noise should go away when you crack that cylinder. Good luck

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Mine makes the same noise and is driving me nuts. It did go away for a few months and has recently returned and is getting louder also much colder outside now. With my miles I was hoping injectors 140k. Last time I cracked the lines the noise wasnt there so when I get time I will try that again. Was hoping to spend money on the MOOSE and not lifters.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, we are hearing a valve train noise of sorts, be that as it may, my best suggestion is remove one valve cover at a time and check for worn rocker arms, pushrods or valve stems.

If nothing seems out of ordinary, then button it up and proceed to other side. I know this isn't the most helpful but it's all I got....

Now onto my question, whats the box on top of the washer fluid/rad over flow? It has a couple of lines going into it and maybe out and I'd like to know!

Al

Brian085

Reaction score
Now onto my question, whats the box on top of the washer fluid/rad over flow? It has a couple of lines going into it and maybe out and I'd like to know!

Al

Ballast for hids.

I'll have to tear into the valve covers sometime. Any more info on what to look out for or will it stand out pretty well? Thanks

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ballast for hids.

I'll have to tear into the valve covers sometime. Any more info on what to look out for or will it stand out pretty well? Thanks

I will also have to do the same to see what the heck is going on with my ole ticking noise too. I am wondering what normally wears out first first...the lifters or pushrods or the rockers :dunno.
I'm thinking the lifters can wear out before the other valve-train components.

Brian085

Reaction score
I'm gona have to take a look again at the injectors I think.

Other things I have noticed. The truck is hard to start when cold even with the glow plugs. It starts up fine with it plugged in. But without it plugged in I have to throttle it some and it smokes whitish gray and runs rough for 30 sec or so. I can feel a random miss sometimes right after one another or spaced out for about 30 seconds then it idles smooth.

I get grayish smoke when reving it high while ideling. Exhaust ranks of diesel.

I never noticed any smoke while drivng, until tonight. I was accelerating hard uphill- no load- and I noticed the car behind me put their flashers on for a couple secounds and I saw a smokey haze in their headlights. But since its dark I was unable to see the color of it.

Could it be possible the ticking sound is just a bad injector causing all of this?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gona have to take a look again at the injectors I think.

Other things I have noticed. The truck is hard to start when cold even with the glow plugs. It starts up fine with it plugged in. But without it plugged in I have to throttle it some and it smokes whitish gray and runs rough for 30 sec or so. I can feel a random miss sometimes right after one another or spaced out for about 30 seconds then it idles smooth.

I get grayish smoke when reving it high while ideling. Exhaust ranks of diesel.

I never noticed any smoke while drivng, until tonight. I was accelerating hard uphill- no load- and I noticed the car behind me put their flashers on for a couple secounds and I saw a smokey haze in their headlights. But since its dark I was unable to see the color of it.

Could it be possible the ticking sound is just a bad injector causing all of this?

It could be. Worn out injectors tend to show their dark side when the engine is started when it is cold. It sounds like you may have some glowplugs that are burnt out though....or something else going on with your GP system. I would check the glowplugs before you look into buying new injectors.
Your vid sounds more like a valvetrain tick though. I have brand new Delphi injectors in my truck and it sounds exactly the same as yours. It is an inconsistent noise. If it were an injector, it would more than likely be consistent knocking sound.