Throttle pedal pressure?

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure this gets asked allot. Is there anyway to make the throttle easyer push down on these trucks? My dads psd has spoiled me and I was wondering if there was some kind of electrical control like the psd has that we can adapt or if there are a few tricks that can make the stock stuff allot easyer. I know about a return spring but I worry about throttle return on a stiff spring?cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's like taking a large step backwards in why we own these trucks. adding a potential problem to these trucks isn't why I own one. google up "toyota throttle pedal recall" and my stance should easily explain itself.
you stiff throttle could be one of two things. one. a chaffed and desintergrating throttle cable. two. put in a lighter throttle return spring.
hope this helps.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Very good point towcat!

Those throttle by wire systems are a joke, one more tiny electronic circuit to get fubared...

LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You could probably try to rig something up. But in all honesty I havent heard of anyone doing it. Does a PSD even have a throttle cable to the motor, or is it just a sensor that tells it load and applies more or less fuel? Thats what I would think.

Might want to look at a junkyard at a superduty gas truck, maybe they have a fly by wire system, but it still would have throttle cable linkage cause of the intake butterflies. Worth a look?

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its a new cable. IDK what the deal is. It just seems a bit rough for my liking. I was wondering if anyone had tried to mess with this. The pedal also seems slugish to return. Its got me stumped.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good point towcat!

Those throttle by wire systems are a joke, one more tiny electronic circuit to get fubared...

LOL
i worked the fatal on 280sb @ Meridian where the poor ******* was hung out to dry by Toyota for two years. There's no amount of money that can undo what had happened.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well its a new cable. IDK what the deal is. It just seems a bit rough for my liking. I was wondering if anyone had tried to mess with this. The pedal also seems slugish to return. Its got me stumped.
factory or aftermarket cable?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine is also real sluggish to return from WOT. Seems like it has a kink or something, but I lift my foot and you can feel the peddle hit your foot like a tenth of a second later. Just another thing to look at....

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
There was a post on here a while back about the throttle cable being sluggish/nonresponsive due to a cracked or broken shield (bright orange part at the end of the cable next to the IP)

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score

If the pedal is rough, sticks, or binds, or won't return that's one thing. If its just hard to mash down that's something else.

Investigate and fix (lubricate, replace, whatever) if the former.

If the latter my previous advice stands.

And (like other posters) I would recommend you stick with the simple mechanical system rather than trying to engineer and install a more complicated system in any case.

Good luck,

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
toyota was left holding the bag on that one, but the meltdown was initiated by GM.

Absolutely!!!

I interviewed for an electrician job there a few years ago, I was shocked when I walked in there... That place is something to see! Probably one of the tougher unions i've seen.

Too bad things turned out the way they did.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have replaced my cable with a factory only cable. If anything its really soft and it returns easily everytime. Sorry but I would never drive a car or truck that has a throttle peddle problem. I don't think our brakes could hold the trucks if the throttle sticks. A new cable thats defective or a bad throttle return spring can cause all kinds of trouble. My 98 honda accord had a sticking throttle issue but so seldom I couldn't find what was wrong. That car would hold with the brakes. It only happened at the same freeway onramps and certain stop lites around town. Something you could almost plan for... I avoided them at all costa. Well... I finally found that was causing the problem. When my daughter owned the car she had the head pulled because oil was and still is leaking into the cooling system. The dealer did the work. I checked it and told them to reassemble the car... They said the aluminum block was cracked....:mad: So the problem turned out some jerk of a "mechanic" had left a craftsman standard blade screwdriver in the snorkle from the air filter to the throttle body....:eek: It would slip into the throttle plate and hang it slightly open. I got a nice screwdriver out of this... Now I can use any freeway on ramps and any stoplite without issues... Funny what a factory trained mechanic is capable of...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online