Throttle cable broke,

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
For all you fellas with high mileage rigs; just a friendly reminder to check out the condition of your throttle cable. I have had a few break on me in the past but whenever I buy another truck I always put off checking/lubing/replacing the cable until its too late and they break when you need the truck most, or when you are miles from anywhere.
The cable just broke on my 1990 with 370k, luckily when it was in my driveway but still...

Just a suggestion folks...

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually just did mine. the plastic on the end with the spring was starting to fall apart so i figured it was only a matter of time befor it shot crap on me

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fell apart again. I need to buy a new one but keep snatching them off my parts trucks. My current one the sleeve cracked by the throttle cable when I was out awhile back. A little electrical tape has held it together for awhile. I don't drive it much and keep forgetting to fix it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah its one of those things that keep getting put on the back burner, maybe because its so simple; beats me:dunno

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for the 1985 models and those like it.

The best preventive maintenance one can do to that style of accelerator-cable is to CAREFULLY completely break away that entire red plastic sleeve business.

It serves no useful purpose whatsoever, other than to hang up the throttle --- usually when in wide-open position, and is the cause for most broken cables.
:)

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic sleeve

Yes, I agree. Mine was getting a bit sketchy-looking and I removed it with no problems. There was a part to my speed control system attached to it but that no longer worked so I ditched all that too.

I can only speak for the 1985 models and those like it.

The best preventive maintenance one can do to that style of accelerator-cable is to CAREFULLY completely break away that entire red plastic sleeve business.

It serves no useful purpose whatsoever, other than to hang up the throttle --- usually when in wide-open position, and is the cause for most broken cables.
:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.