This truck is full of suprises

wvredxj

Reaction score
Well i am still tearing into and fixing my newest neglected 7.3 idi. Its a 93' f350 that i bought for 650 bucks. It was rough, and i don't really need another diesel, or farm truck, so i bought it for the dana 60. Guy couldnt get the truck to run (no fuel to motor) and probably hasn't ran for years. New electric pump and some glow plugs (plus batteries, couple blown fusses, getting power to fuel shutoff, fixing leaks, jumpering wires) she ran, and ran good. So here i am fixing the beat up old truck i have named black sheep. Check out tonight's find:

You must be registered for see images attach

Guess they ran out of carrier shims, had these laying around:

I will check the lash, pattern looks good, who needs pattern paint when you can see the pattern in the rust scale in the teeth!

Here are some other things i have done thus far:

Floors were GONE, so i did some quick patch, nothing fancy, no need to:

wvredxj

Reaction score

start of my winch bumper, 1/4" mounts 4-3/4" bolts, 4-1/2" bolts. Bent 3/16" plate, should use most of a full sheet. Then i will add tube work to the front. I think it needs some led bars but we will see.

Plate goes all the way under the core support, and is tight on it:

Time to go brake the cover on the 60 and see what it holds in store for me!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ewwwww. Crusty.

You can rebuild it! Looks like a money pit....like mine! Keep the pictures coming!

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
You need some Nitto Terra Grapplers on there! That is a good looking bumper to! Makes me wanna go buy a welder and take a stab at it! I like your shop to, I need one of them.

wvredxj

Reaction score
Ewwwww. Crusty.

You can rebuild it! Looks like a money pit....like mine! Keep the pictures coming!

Well, it is somewhat of a money pit. Here's my plan. Right now i have 1200 bucks into it. I think i am still alright. Previous owner installed a different yoke/transfer case, so the unobtainable 1330 cv yoke was not there, neither was the cv driveshaft. I bought a new driveshaft for the truck, would not bolt up to my 1330 large cap yoke, so i called tom woods and he is building me a two joint straight shaft, same price as a new cv shaft. So that will get me 4wd. I have a m105 bed like this:

My plan is to put that bed on here, along with a full hydro kit for the 7.3 i already have, and make a good little farm dump truck. We shall see. Things i still need:

1)coolant catch tank, truck doesn't have one. Either find one off one of these trucks, or buy a universal.
2)Truck needs fuel sending unit ring/gasket, heater resistor, wiper relay, and batteries (current batteries are not mine)
3) Needs a few lug nuts, front tires, and maybe even a radio. Would love to have some interior pieces like knee bolster, and dash bezel, but those are not that important yet.
4) REALLY NEED NV DUST COVER.
So far i have done the following:

Brakes...New front calipers (old pads looked real good), new front lines, new wheel cylinders, new rear pads, new spring kits, and some new line on back.

New glow plugs, and new battery terminals, new battery hold downs.

New electric fuel pump with relay, new fuel line the whole length. Lift pump block off plate.

New motor oil/filter, new trans fluid, new transfer case fluid, new brake fluid, new diff fluid. New fuel filter.

New custom front driveshaft, with new u bolts.

Put on rear used tires, but they are above 70%.

Like i said this is a beater, and i just want a reliable farm truck to get wood or whatever else i need to haul. This truck will run circles around my 91 auto. I dont know if its the 4:10's or the 5 speed, but this thing rips! Its no powerstroke or cummins though.

wvredxj

Reaction score
You need some Nitto Terra Grapplers on there! That is a good looking bumper to! Makes me wanna go buy a welder and take a stab at it! I like your shop to, I need one of them.

Its a small garage, but we turn out some good work:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like a steal if just for the D60 and ZF5 alone.

wvredxj

Reaction score
The clutch also didnt work, no pedal. Took the pedal assembly out, bushing was shot over on the gas pedal side, letting it have over 3/4" travel in the steel bracket. I took a 3/4" washer and welded it to the bracket over the pin, installed cotter pin, clutch is good as new. Truck also had a crack in the transmission below the clutch fork. My guess someone had a bright idea of using a pry bar to free the clutch. I tigged it back with 5056, and it is holding. What a pain getting the oil out of the cast. Took several tries. Good news is the crack stops at the shift fork, so there isn't a lot of force other than the clutch fork on that area. Just wish i had a dust cover.

How important are dust covers on these trucks. Will the clutch rust if it sits for a while? Anyone have a extra?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not important, imo.
With it gone let's it get flung out.
I've been running without mine since I had my truck. Dunno how long it was gone before that.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like me when I bought my truck for the axle! Sometimes I think it looked better when the axle was out. Good luck on it!

wvredxj

Reaction score
Shameless plug. I am in no way affiliated with this company, but working as an electrician in the coal mines, these were a vital part of preventive maintenance, and i have never seen them anywhere else:

Runyen manufacturing grease bucket:

There is not a better way to put gear oil in a rear end. I like it so much when i was underground, i bought one for myself. They are not as expensive as one would expect a usa made product either.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice work, great project.
FYI, when youre looking for a parts truck, buy a gasser, then you wont be tempted to keep it lol
used my 460 powered F350 on 3 different projects
are those tranny parts as shims for the carrier?
looks like syncros

wvredxj

Reaction score
This thing is at it again. Ok, so tonight i replaced the sending unit lock ring and seal. Put in new windshield wiper relay box, and new heater resistor.

The resistor got my motor to run on all speeds, but i have no selection of air. I don't know where its blowing, but if i go underneath passenger dash and work that control, i get vents (i assume this is a/c), if i go on passenger blower box on firewall i get some floor, and some defrost if i lock closed. The switch in the dash is not moving either one of these vacuum solenoids. The blue vacuum line running to the heater box has been patched, but i can not tell if it has any suction. Any ideas?

The windshield wipers still do not work. I hear the relay box clicking, but nothing. The sprayer works, but still no wipers. So i took the plugs out of motor, have 12 v on one of three legs on the gear box, and one of the legs has 12v on the motor plug with wipers on high. My guess is wiper motor is down, what do you guys think. This truck is nickle and dimeing me now. I would be happy with floor and defrost heat and some wiper action. Ugh.

While the truck was idling for a while i seen a lot of smoke under the hood, so i take a look, front passenger return line leaking fuel into valley where it sits on the injector. Was i reading a forum member sells those kits? Would one line leaking cause the truck to take 5-10 seconds of cranking to start? Every injector but that one is clean and dry.