thinking of dropping a 6.2 in my S-Series

BravadaGuy23

Reaction score
I've been contemplating a diesel swap for some time now, and at first I thought that I'd look into a Cummins 4Bt but after some thought, and the price of a complete motor, I'm leaning more towards a 6.2 to replace the tired 4.3 V-6. I'm closing in on 250,000 miles and I really don't know if I want to shoot for 300K. from what I gather a 6.2 might be easier because of GM's swapability. I want to solid axle swap my truck (Dana 44s and 32" tires) and I know that the 6.2 gets a bad rap but I think because of the lighter weight of the S-series truck it will perform a lot better. Any Thoughts/Opinions? I'm a little green and I could use the insight.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
YOU Sir, are a sick man.;Sweet

You might run into clearance issues on the injector lines, in addition to the usual stuff found when swapping in a V-8 gasser.

I say give it a shot, and see what happens.

BravadaGuy23

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what my dad told me. He doesn't know why I bother with this with the price of gas/diesel. The way I figure it, I'm going to have to get my VW Bug project running first so that I'll at least have a car to drive while I'm doing this swap.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congratulations. you picked a chassis that already is pretty crammed. good part is the motor mount bracket won't have to be moved since they are in the same postion between the 4.3 and the SBC. There's plenty of books giving you a step by step on stuffing a SBC into a S10 type chassis. So most of the guesswork is done already. Fun part is the injector lines as mentioned earlier and the radiator placement. the diesel radiator is huge.
good luck!;Sweet

BravadaGuy23

Reaction score
congratulations. you picked a chassis that already is pretty crammed. good part is the motor mount bracket won't have to be moved since they are in the same postion between the 4.3 and the SBC. There's plenty of books giving you a step by step on stuffing a SBC into a S10 type chassis. So most of the guesswork is done already. Fun part is the injector lines as mentioned earlier and the radiator placement. the diesel radiator is huge.
good luck!;Sweet

You got me there boss. I'm not exactly sure how the hell I'll be able to shoehorn it in. I know of a member of the S-Series.Org board that stuffed a 6.5TD into an s-10 pickup but from what I remember it was no picnic. I think he ended up having to put a 2 or 3" body lift and reinforce the frame to handle the weight.