Think clutch is going...

caterpillar

Reaction score
I think my clutch is starting to go bad on me, what are some signs of a warn clutch?

Also what would everyone recomend for a new clutch and where to buy from?

Anyone done a clutch themselves? I'd like to do it myself if I can, I like to learn new things by doing them myself, how much of a choire is it?

Thanks Mike.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Slipping under load is usually the 1st sign for me, if it slips enough then you start getting smoke and that hot brake smell.

It is not a hard job, you just need to remove the transmission. When I did mine I put the front on ramps and the rear on a good set of jack-stands, I like a lot of room under the truck when I am working under there. I bought a transmission jack from harbor freight and their shipping was cheap and slow. You may be able to rent or borrow a jack, some may chime in that they just lift it in and out, but I prefer to let the jack do the lifting. The only other special tool I needed was a puller to to remove the pilot bearing and and AutoZone rents those for free.

It is not a hard job just allow yourself a couple of days for the 1st time so you are not rushed. Sometimes it can take a fare amount of wiggling to get the shaft into the pilot bearing, other times they slip right together.

Good luck with it! If you post where you are, there may be someone in your area that can offer some help or guidance with this project.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just got my clutch replaced. I highly recommend the LuK clutch SMF kit. I also was going to try to do it myself but went with a local mechanic instead. One day turnaround. He also replaced a U-joint and the rear oil seal. About a grand for the everything.

pb