Things to look for when looking at a 7.3L SD

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
this truck has one of my preferable color combos.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=81315462&listingRecNum=13&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20015%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21115%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-yrId-transTypeId%26zc%3D48836%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrId%3D20196%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26transTypeId%3D28113%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

i notice that the majority of trucks that i have seen on the internet have the *** on the dash for the 4wd selection. do they still have manual locking hubs? can you get a super duty with manual locking hubs and manual shifting 4wd?

If they only come in electric selection 4wd how do you guys like them?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Eric,

The stock ESOF Hubs are Manual/Auto.....

You can be running down the road, flip the switch to 4x4 HI, the front hubs lock in, and the transfer case shifts to 4x4 HI. Flip back to 2HI and the transfer case shifts to 2wd and the fron hubs unlock. The front hubs are run by vacuum, and the seal can fail, and they won't engage automatically.

Or, the outside of the hub is a lockout "knob", you can rotate them to lock, and the fron hubs are locked in, and turning the entire front driveline. When you turn the switch, the transfer case shifts to 4x4HI.... much like the old trucks were..... that is how we ran our 83 F-150 4x4. In the winter we would lock the hubs in, and when we needed it, we would just shift the transfer case.....

I am still running my ESOF auto hubs...... they are 9 years old, and have 115,000 on them.... but, mine normally stays on the road.... 4x4 is in the snow/ice..... I have used it "off-road" in a grass parking area at the local fairgrounds.... I do not off-road the Excursion.....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thanks Scott.

i won't be off-roading either. some trucks i see the manual locking hubs and the lever inside to shift the t-case like on the obs trucks and then others i see have the swtich on the dash.

so some are like the obs system, completely manual, and some are the vac system and others are manual hubs with the selector switch?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is manual/manual or ESOF..... the ESOF hubs can be locked in..... if you look at one with a knob on the dash... look at the hubs, those turn.....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Speeder,

Does the AE play well with the PSD's.... I have been looking at it for my 6.0..... does it run the diags as well as read everything?

If you go the AE route get the Ford enhanced bundle. It will coveer any Ford gas or diesel. AE run all codes engine and tranny. It runs diagnostics too. I'm still leaning this stuff.LOL Fun toy worth the $$$.

www.strictlydiesel.com sell it for a great price.:thumbsup:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i will try to find some pics on the net of the 2006 harley davidson grill and headlights, like what is on the red truck that i linked to, but if any body has some pics of what that grill looks like it would be great if you could post them up.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck....

On changing the mirrors, should be a 5 minute job..... when you open the doors, there are 3 rubber plugs on the inside of the door, removed these plugs, and that exposed the nuts/bolts that hold the mirrors on.... they all use the same mounting to the door on the SD's... so remove/unplug the old if they are power, reinstall/plug in the new and you are all set.... it is nothing like changing them on the pre 97 bodies...... on the newer ones, the vans and the half tons use the same mirrors... I could take the tow mirrors off my 03 and install them on my Dad's 97 F-250LD (the 7 lug one) or his 94 van......