Things to look for when looking at a 7.3L SD

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
what kind of things should I look for when looking a one of these trucks.

what are some common parts that would need to be replaced at certain milage?

not sure if my dad is serious about me getting rid of my IDI and upgrading to a a psd or not so i am just trying to gain some helpfull knowledge.

thanks in advance.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94-97 pull the fuel filter and see what it looks like.black and oily looking is injector orings.look for fuel/oil leaks in the valley.ask about maintenance.oil changes and fuel filter are very important to the psd.take the oil fill cap off and sniff inside the valve cover.burnt wire smell means it needs glowplugs, uvc harnesses and gaskets.pull the boot off the turbo and check it for shaft play and if the compressor wheel is sandblasted..if it has the orange boot there's a very good chance the turbo is junk.fire it up and see how it runs and if it smokes.if its cold don't worry about the loud hiss accompanied by the high idle, its normal.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
To add to what Rich said, don't be surprised if it's nutless right off the line (assuming it is stock), then starts building power.

O, and FYI the hiss that he is saying is normal is the EBPV doing it's job.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but a little better than the obs.if you get one I gaurantee you will love it.$1.00@radio shack will get you about another 15-20 hp and the ability to kill an idi off the line with ease if you can keep it from spinning the tires.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Yes but a little better than the obs.if you get one I gaurantee you will love it.$1.00@radio shack will get you about another 15-20 hp and the ability to kill an idi off the line with ease if you can keep it from spinning the tires.

me likely the radio shack mod.LOL is that somthing to do with the EBPV that i have read about?

should i kind of stay away from trucks that have chips and tuners in them? i don't really have any plans on putting a tuner in but if it makes the drivability of the truck better then i would consider.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me likely the radio shack mod.LOL is that somthing to do with the EBPV that i have read about?

should i kind of stay away from trucks that have chips and tuners in them? i don't really have any plans on putting a tuner in but if it makes the drivability of the truck better then i would consider.
How come no plans on a tuner? That's one of the reasons why I drool over the thought of having a 7.3 stroke in my truck. The ts 6 position chip. High idle for when I first start or jumping off a buds jeep. And with the flip of the switch a 70 plus up gain. And with mileage increase with today's ungodly expensive fuel
Just my ***** on them.
I have a friend at school who's dad has a 96 stroke that I got to ride in one day. With the chipin stock my mode I felt like my idi could keep up easy. He flipped the switch and WOW! My idi would cower in fear of that thing. Forgot to add. He did have stage 1s with it. Forgot about that.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shack mod is the 10k mod for the obs or the 18k mod on the sd.its a resistor that you stick in the icp sensor.tricks the pcm into thinking the icp is lower than it is.upping the oil pressures to the injectors is all a psd really needs to wake it up.

I wouldn't worry about chips or tuners.unless it was obviously abused.they help drivabillity, fuel mileage and power.obs trucks don't really like tuners, they prefer chips.sd respond well to either.

Only mod for the ebpv is either gutting it or making an exhaust brake out of it.you don't need it.its only function is to force the engine to warm up quickly and keep it warm during extended idling.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't believe the hype about chips and tuners.most increase you will get out of an obs is around 75hp no matter what you do with stock injectors.sd is a little more.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Don't forget the tranny. Make sure the ATF has been changed. I kept mine changed and was fairly easy on it and the tranny still died ~190k. The was $4k.

My truck has 198k on it now and there is NO noticeable play in the stock turbo.

I would be a bit concerned if the truck had a chip and no gauges. Also, should at least have bigger exhaust with a chip.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

What he said... The OBS with the non wastegated turbo and 17:1 compression just doesn't feel like it has any performance until it spools up the laggy turbo.
The newer (superduty) has a wastegated turbo and as a stock truck they tend to light the turbo around 1600-1800 when empty.
Basically with my IDI (when it's running right-cuss) I'm in 2nd by the time a excab short bed superduty has his turbo spooled, so in town I can beat them but out in the country they tend to catch up (damn long 2-3 shift in my E4OD).
BUT with an auto once you light the turbo it's lit until you let of or hit the governor in top gear (or the speed limiter).

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to sound like an ass but I hope you mean you beat them off the line.I owned both a psd and factory turbo idi.there's no way an idi will catch a psd.unless both are stock.it would be close.but a psd with a 10k mod WILL outrun an idi with ease

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be a bit concerned if the truck had a chip and no gauges. Also, should at least have bigger exhaust with a chip.

I wouldn't.the psd can run 1300°24/7 without hurting anything.ive had mine well over 1600°.the obs should atleast have a downpipe done.the sd already has a decent pipe factory.obs doesn't really dump enough fuel with stock injectors to burn em up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.most people that don't know much about diesel upgrades just buy the tuners that you plug in, download the programs and unplug it cuz they're cheaper.the generic programs on chips and tuners aren't hot enough to hurt anything.the companies don't want to be replacing motors cuz of thier tunes.if it was custom tunes without gauges id be worried.but your average diesel owner dosn't know about custom. program.s or how to get them.you cant walk into autozone and get them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online