THERMOSTAT motorcraft VS stant

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
the CHINA unit on the left is STANT. right is MOTORCRAFT

You must be registered for see images attach

URL=http://s585.photobucket.com/user/NO_SPRK/media/20130927_113340_zpsc5cc3069.jpg.html]
[/URL]

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That china thermostat is craptacular. Funny how they can't get it right even when they have a sample to copy from.

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
Chimcom is crapola! Bought a rig with 7.3 that dropped a valve and blew both head gaskets along with cracked heads with one them Chimcoms just put in it. Funny it never overheated before or after the Chimcom install but died an awful death! Before it just ran to cold and no heat, after Temp gauge just went wild, cold to normal and bounced back and forth. Lasted 50 miles.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vatozone stat was in sideways on wrong side of gasket and no leaks.. would take 30 min. to hit temp.
the ford unit heats up in 5, i got lucky.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots and lots of posts/threads arguing the merits of the Stant against the Motorcraft t'stats. If you look down in the t'stat housing of an IDI, you will see a little tube like that extends up toward the copper slug. That "tube" is a bypass that lets the coolant circulate in the left side head, this in fact brings the engine temp up quicker. Now when the t'stat starts to open then is fully open that copper slug blocks off the bypass, now you have full flow thru the water/coolant pump. Some believe that the passage with the ball in it is a bypass, not so, it is just for relieving any air in the system to the rad tank. The Motorcraft t'stat has a small hole in the flow regulating disc that helps to relieve trapped air under the disc and also that flow thru the disc helps with temp opening function. So now if you can clone a Motorcraft t'stat your welcome to do it. Good Luck.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seein's how harvester does not make a replacement available for the stat housing now, and my check ball is m.i.a.
a call to my ford tech shows no parts ... my junk runs fine without the ball with a ford stat....I dunno.

if it works run it.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can guess which one came out and which one went in.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with an aftermarket T-Stat as well and had it stuck open about half way. Truck overheated for the first time ever, but it could just be a random bad one. I work my truck real hard so didn't take the chance and went with a motorcraft for a replacement and so far no issues. Though having said that, I have used aftermarket T-Stats for years and never had an issue. Put one in my Avenger a little while ago and its just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online