Themostat gasket help

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
need to build a gasket, just wondering what that little guy is and how to handle it gasket wise
1993 7.3 idi factory turbo
Thanks!!

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That circled item is the air bypass in the housing. It has a plastic open plug that holds a ball bearing in the neck. Shake the housing to hear if the ball is free. you can also squeeze the top hose and listen for the clicking sound that tells you yours is free and working. If yours ends up missing no worries. You wont warm up the coolant as quickly but it will not harm anything.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Thanks! I ended up cutting a hole in the new gasket to accommodate that ball, it didnt shake at all either, thought there might be a spring holding it one way
On the way home i at least had some heat though!

That alternator was a bear to remove..... thats a hack saw blade on a pair of vice grip.
PO broke the bolt in the middle of the bottom alternator bracket, just half ass threaded a new short bolt on the front side n left it....

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ball is there to help purge air from the coolant system. Mine was stuck inside the thermostat housing cover and ended up removing it. Hasn't really made any difference. Maybe slightly longer warm up times but not really noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online