the old 7.3 is still missing!! what to do..

mahatma171

Reaction score
I work on a 94 Ford Club Wagon, XLT with the7.3 IDI non-turbo and the E40D trans, 3.73 gears. She now has 268,000 on the clock. I used to own it, then sold it 5 years ago to the church where I work.

They don't really use the van all that much, so recently I addressed the following:

Would crank up, then die. Took a lot of pedal pumping and sorts to get the fuel pumping again. Looked at her, fuel coming out all over the place from the return lines. Not to mention the fact that she had an irregular miss at idle and lots of white smoke when being driven.

There was a new fuel pump about 30,000 ago (before I bought it). I decided it was time for some fresh injectors. I installed rebuilt injectors with new washers and got a new return hose/fitting kit. I also installed a new fuel filter.

After all of that work, she runs a lot nicer. She starts up first try, no problems and no stalling even in this cold weather. I still have a slight, irregular miss at idle when its cold, no where near as bad as it was (the old injectors were really, really bad). The miss will disappear completely after you run it a little bit. I took it on a highway run about 150 miles away, and after that she would sit there and idle all day without skipping a beat.

My question is, should I continue looking for an air leak somewhere? I don't see any leaks around the injectors any longer, or around the pump and filter. It isn't a real bad problem, but I would like it to run the best I can get it to run. The truck doesn't burn or leak oil, good oil pressure, and she has a lot of power. I can haul a full load of people and tow a small trailer and she'll stay at 70 all day. Thanks for reading and look forward to your response.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like there might have still been a little air trapped in the system. If it continues, you might consider cracking injector lines hoping that it is one of those rebuilt injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Crack each injector loose and see if you can find the bad one. Then replace it... Or move it to another cylinder and see if the miss follows... If it does then replace it. An injector being rebuilt unit is probably the fault and its cheap to repair... Replace it.

mahatma171

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to crack the injector lines yet. But thanks for the suggestions. I will probably get to it tomorrow and see whats up. I never had a problem using rebuilt injectors before, but it doesn't seem likely in this case that it could be anything else. By the way, this set of injectors came from Pensacola Diesel. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find.

mahatma171

Reaction score
I forgot to update this. I traced the miss to one of the injectors. The company sent me a replacement injector, which I installed and I have not had one single problem out of it since. The 7.3 is running good and strong at last.