The never ending saga of my 6.9

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
So in the typical style of my ol truck it has developed some more interesting issues. Occasionally on startup it will fire, spit and sputter then die. After 30 seconds or so of cranking it fires back up and idles like normal. It also has a pretty decent miss at higher rpms still. And the most frustrating part is when you hammer it up to governed speed it dies, just flat dies. If I keep in the throttle it usually sputters back to life. Just replaced lift pump and fuel filter. Ideas?

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cured mine of the sputter and die after startup by installing a new return line kit ($30). Another possibility may be air getting in somewhere like a pickup tube. Does the sputter happen on both tanks?

Not sure about the rest, injectors, injection pump, and again air intrusion are all possible suspects.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Yea on both tanks but even when full to the brim. Tried multiple IPs, dont have a spare set of injectors though. This engine was rebuilt about 4000 miles ago, but then it sat for a few years.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea on both tanks but even when full to the brim. Tried multiple IPs, dont have a spare set of injectors though. This engine was rebuilt about 4000 miles ago, but then it sat for a few years.

multiple ip's? are they all known to be good? it almost sounds ip death related

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Define known good, the one thats on it now is off the original engine in the truck. The other one came on the engine. Im tryin to track down my other one to try

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Define known good, the one thats on it now is off the original engine in the truck. The other one came on the engine. Im tryin to track down my other one to try

others will chime in if i'm wrong but it sounds like your injector pump is on it's way out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your running out of fuel.... Now the question is why.... An air intrusion may be the issue but the injection pump may also be the problem. .try and get the fuel pressure at the filter and post back. Might be the lift pump was installed wrong and its not pumping enough fuel to run wide open... 4 to 7 lbs is the usual pressure you want to see at the injection pump side of the filter..

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Well figured id update you guys. Dropped the rear tank to put my new one in, pulled the pickup out and tried to blow through it. Just about plugged solid. New tank in, gov spring in, its a new truck now!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What was the pickup tube plugged with....:dunno Its a need to know thing here....

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Need to know? Not really a positive ID, looked like some kind of plant type material

mahatma171

Reaction score
Hmmm....had the tank algae crop growing nicely huh? It happens, the church I work for has an IDI Club Wagon that sits around, I told them to pour in some treatment but did they listen? Noooo.... but guess who they called to service it when it didn't run... :rolleyes: