The "Little Detroit"

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could somebody point me in the dirrection of this motor? Black Dog mentioned it to me in a separate post as a possible solution to a Diesel in my wheeler. I would like to know who makes it, how much it weighs, what kind of mileage can be expected, tranny options. In other words a plethora of questions flood my mind when a new possible option was made known to me. Thank you for any and all help.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Not to change the subject,......But.

What about a 4bt Cummins? Turbocharged, running about 106hp. I'm waiting to see what the install looks like, out at the local smoke shack. Might be hope for the ole Cherokee Chief, yet.

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PackRat said:

What about a 4bt Cummins? Turbocharged, running about 106hp. I'm waiting to see what the install looks like, out at the local smoke shack. Might be hope for the ole Cherokee Chief, yet.
It's been covered and it is to date the best candidate. I'm sizing up other alternatives. Who Makes the Detroit Diesel? Lemme guess. Detroit? Once again any and all help is appreciated.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I don't know anything about a "little detroit" (but then if its got mroe than 2 wheels I generally don't know much about it - unless it has wings), but I do know that detroit diesel does make several diesels. In fact they make the 6.2 and 6.5 motors found in GM trucks and Hummers.

best of luck,

Oh, I did do a bit of work before on a box truck that had a small izuzu diesel - seemd to run pretty well and was quite compact (3cyl IIRC).

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These itty bitty oil burners in the Box trucks seem to be what i'm looking for. Thanx!

MudHog

Reaction score
Your talking about a Cummins 4BT. Frito Lay uses the 4BT And bolts a TH400 to them. So if you find one you can get the bellhousing for a TH400 to fit the 4BT.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
MudHog said:
would he have been talking about the Detroit 3-53?

I never thought about a 3-53. Other than the 4BT, I considered the 4-53, but since I know nothing about it, I didn't mention it.
I've seen a few C-65 dumps listed in traders, with 4-53/Allison combo.

MudHog

Reaction score
The 3-53 is merely 60-70 HP, but I've seen some in the 100 HP range.

You can find the 3-53 usually with a 4 spd tranny from the military gov't auctions or sales.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
PackRat said:

They are a popular Jeep swap, try www.jeep2diesel.org or www.cummins-conversion.com
Stock they run 100-120hp, but they use the same injectors as their bigger brother(6BT). With the marine injectors, you can get 250hp really easy. ;Sweet

FSJer

Reaction score
i have seen heaps of these 4Bt's around , altho i live in Melb , Australia . I was planning on getting one for a project i had ( J-truck ) and researched heaps on them , they came out of US postal vans and bread trucks and airport trucks , alot of them come with a T400 already behind the 4BT , i nearly got one of them actually , but changed my mind and dropped the project as now planning on getting a late 80's 1300L Unimog sometime soon, moving to NZ within 5 weeks and there heaps over there real cheap , realised "why settle for second best" .

anyway 4bt's a good little diesels but have a bit of vibration & noise , the newer injected ones have up to 170 hp and are more efficient and quieter .

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Stay away from any two stroke detroit, especialy with an odd number of cyl. Parts are super expensive, I had a governor issue on a 4v53 4valve 93hp and used governor to fit clockwise rotation rh motor was $2500. Be extra cautious to note which side blower and exhaust are on and you really want to make sure that the crank turns in the direction you want. They made lots of reverse rotation motors for marine applications.