The Hearty 6.2

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend I started up my 82 'Burb with the 6.2 and 700R4, and for sitting for months over the winter with no starting, one battery and 3 secs of cranking started this monster up and she ran like no one's business. I left her running for quite a while (nearly an hour to test everything out on it) and the only issue I had was a brake line that was rusted through.

I've said this before and will continue to say this, I love this engine and think it's one of the finest to be used in the small diesel sector. And although I am not a big fan of the 700 tranny, this one has been strong and nary an issue with it since the recall back in the 80's and it was rebuilt compliments of GM.

This engine certainly doesn't get the respect it deserves. For an engine that is 2 years shy of being 30 (approx) it's never had any work done to it other than glow plugs, a couple of starters, and one replacement IP. I'd consider that an engine worthy of praise.

Fred

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh No. I learned that lesson early on with my 5.7l diesels. I still think those are decent if you take care of them and rebuild them carefully as well, maybe make some tweaks to the build themselves and you can get some goo life out of them.

But I still prefer the 6.2 as my GM diesel, and my 6.9 as my worker.

GWDriver

Reaction score
I have to say, as a new guy to the site but an 'older guy' in reality, that taking care of a vehicle is pretty much an assurance of long life. Fluids, filters, preventive maintainance, good coolant control and a kiss on the bumper now and then works wonders (just make sure the bumper is clean).

I've driven diesels for a great part of my life, just never owned one. I am partial to GM products though. My (gas) '88 GMC Suburban has over 352,000 miles on the clock and as far as I know, it's still the original engine. It was bought from a former AF Major, (fighter pilot) who was so picky about maintainance that if you pulled up next to him and YOUR car made noise, he went to get his fixed.......:D. It had 98k on the clock when I bought it in 1992, still starts with no problem and is just now starting to show a bit of white smoke on start up.

Wish it had a diesel though as I really like the older body style and the ride comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online