The Future of the IDI Weekend

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
After speaking with past hosts at the MOB rally it was proposed that we do things this way.

In order to be considered for hosting a rally you must have attended a rally in the past for at least a full day. This way you understand what type of rally this is, in that it's a family oriented event. This is not a beer fest with crazy stuff going on, it's an event that you can bring your kids and wife to and they will not be put into a situation where they feel uncomfortable.

When choosing a campground here are the requirements.
1st the RV sites are full Hook Up (meaning water, electric, and sewer)
2nd has cabins for those without a camper to use)
3rd has tent sites for those that want to rough it.
4th has a pool for cooling off in.
5th has a playground for our children.

When choosing events make sure that it will appeal to more than just a couple of people.

Try not to over schedule events and try not to schedule events that start early in the morning - remember folks are on vacation so they will probably want to sleep in a bit plus they have been sitting around the fire visiting late into the evening with FRIENDS. Having a few days with nothing planned isn't a bad thing - remember it's their vacation and might want a break from the hustle and bustle of normal everyday life.

Make the event open to anyone who has or HAD an IDI in the life. As in they understand the level of work that goes into keeping these things on the road. It might not have been theirs but they had a hand in one. Meaning we all know a few guys on here that no longer have an IDI in their stable but have moved on to another engine choice but still understand what it takes. They should be welcome as the guy who is still driving one to work everyday.

If you decide to have a show and shine / rust and dust make for sure everyone walks away a winner. If that means making up some wild category then you make one up that day before the awards are passed out. I can remember years ago one of the guys that attended said to me he had never won a thing in his 60 years and he won such and such award. He knew everyone won but it made him feel part of the group. We lost that when the show and shine moved on to what a real car show is.

Yes you can charge an entrance fee to the show for each truck just make sure it goes to a local charity or back into the community where the rally is held.

So there you have it folks.

If you have attended and want to host toss your hat into the ring. Tell us where you are looking at having the rally, what type of things there are to see and do in the area. And the dates you are looking at. Sell it to us. Then here in two weeks on July 31st I will revisit this thread and write down the people and details then will start a new thread with a poll for everyone can vote. We will let the voting run for 2 weeks then what comes out on top will be the winner. That is when the pressure starts for the winner of the voting.

When approaching a campground tell them that you can provide contact numbers to past rally campground owners. If you need those contact numbers just ask one of us that have hosted in the past.

Historically we have always met up over the 4th of July but we are not set in stone on that date. Just keep in mind that a lot of schools don't let out until June and I know my kids report back to school on or around Aug 1st every year. So that leaves June and July as the months to hold one.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur with what Travis said. I think it is also time to re-brand the event. I'd like to suggest calling it the "Friends of the IDI Weekend" rally. This way we have continuity with the original branding, and sounds less exclusive to the IDI powered vehicles. You can pick the dates, and the duration that you feel you need in order to have the events you want. Please remember you must be qualified to host THIS event.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I wonder if it is just the aging of the trucks and the economics that come with it. All generalizations here so don't think I'm trying to judge anything here:

Family men & women that drive a truck daily and use it for family responsibilities usually have a vehicle that is reliable and isn't going to regularly cut into family time. Used trucks in that $10-20k range still fit in that category today. When these rallys started 10+ years ago, IDI trucks were in that position. Today, these trucks are scarcely worth more than $5-7k for a nice solid average truck. Age likely has them needing wrenched on a bit more often than 10 years ago too. The demographis of people driving these trucks may have shifted some more towards to diehards, loyalists, 1st time truck owners or just younger people on more of a budget. The families today may be rolling around in in an '01 Super Duty or heck even a 6.0 (the newest ones of those are coming up on 10 years old!)

I could be totally off base, but I think there just may be less families rolling in an IDI on a regular basis. Not to say there can't still be rallies with people from all walks of life and ages and backgrounds, but pop's truck may just be newer nowadays.

I myself fit into the young, no family category, and chose to get an IDI because of cost and simplicity. I also have another vehicle because I know that a 21 year old truck it gonna need some downtime, especially when worked.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I was going to try and do a midwest rally in lake of the Ozarks Missouri next year

Id be more likely to go to this.

My limit is ~500 mi. That's about as many miles as I'm willing to subject myself to in a 32 year old truck with stripped interior and no ac. (Exception being when I go home for vacation, but I still don't like it.)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to host again too. It'd be closer to Louisville than Bowling Green. Bourbon distillers to tour, train stuff, Louisville Slugger factory/tour. But, I'm not dying to do it either. Jared is working on a plan and I hear Seth is as well. Don't want to steal the thunder of a new host... I've played Rally Master before. LOL

Heath

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So out of curiosity....
I looked for a " members map" did not see one,
#1 are most of the rank and file members on the east coast/ midwest?
#2 what about making up a fundraiser to possibly ship a host out west as the rules are " must have attended"

This would possibly open up some new host's/venues???!
I agree about the aging situation of these rigs.
But this does not necessarily kill the attendance!
Running antique iron +500 miles for fun one way can be a daunting task.
Keeping this stirred up may be all it takes to breath some new life into it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So out of curiosity....
I looked for a " members map" did not see one,
#1 are most of the rank and file members on the east coast/ midwest?
#2 what about making up a fundraiser to possibly ship a host out west as the rules are " must have attended"

This would possibly open up some new host's/venues???!
I agree about the aging situation of these rigs.
But this does not necessarily kill the attendance!
Running antique iron +500 miles for fun one way can be a daunting task.
Keeping this stirred up may be all it takes to breath some new life into it.
there's no reason why the west coast can't have their own event. put one together and they will show up. :D
as far as membership goes, at one time, the bias was heavily east coast. over time, rust, rust, and more rust, the membership is starting to even out to the whole country but it's still biased in the east.
I included my yearly run to TX with the 2012 rally and that round trip was 5500 miles on a truck with 304k on the ODO :eek:
one more thing about west coasters vs. east coast........three maybe four months out of the year, those poor ******** in the east and midwest are either snowed in or iced over. when it's sunny out, they like to maximize their outdoor time camping even if it is roasting hot, humidity so bad it's the same if you towel off after a shower or not, and hordes of bugs waiting for you to sit still so they have a literal buffet of human blood all in one place. No matter how bad it is in the summer, it is worth it to them to be outside.cookoocookoocookoo
Aside from taking for granted our exceptional climate out here, most of us are slaves to our house payment to the point where a 40 hour work week is only the starting point. finding the time to take a whole week off like how the rally folks do is absolutely unheard of. The best you will be able to do is a 3 day weekend. maybe just maybe a 4 day weekend, but someone has ti die in order to make that happen.
it's different out here, not bad or good, just the priorities of life are a little different when comparing the geographical areas.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not hearing any other comments from those who have hosted in the past. I'd like to nominate Heath to run with it for next year. Sounds like he has a plan, and a new location for us to enjoy so... do we have any one else?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too would be up for Heaths rally, its a little far but I don't want to miss a rally. If Jared hosts one I would be glad to go to Pennsylvania, its a lot closer for me.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep and there are two others in the mix currently and maybe more. Everyone has until the 31st to get their name in the hat before the voting will commence. So we still got a week and a half for folks to get their stuff inline. So no sweat at this point.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really looking forward to seeing all the people that would like to host a rally. I cant wait to see who will be hosting the event. This is really my only vacation so I look forward to doing this every year. Its my favorite thing to do or participate in, besides finally getting to hear an IDI start and drive after a long winter rest.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I can relate. I get to see my truck twice a month now for two days each as Sherman has taken over as pilot for the time being.