The coveted 6.9 block

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday up at the local salvage yard I was helping my buddy look for a few parts for his 454 conversion on his 97 Z71 Chevy. He did not purchase the entire donor vehicle which is a decision he highly regrets. Apples to oranges, 305 small block to 454 big block. While driving up and down the rows my eyes happened to come across a old Ford that had some kind of box body on its back. Turned out to be a ambulance. I noticed the front end was completely removed and the engine caught my eye. The Cat yellow paint initially threw me, but I could recognize the fuel filter pedestal from a mile away. An IDI! :D I said to my buddy excuse me for a minute I just need to check something. I go walking up and I see the old school oil fill neck and I say to myself "Hey I betcha this is a 6.9." Using my finger to clean a tiny bit of dirt off the block by the injection pump I see, 6.9. Ok, kind of like a scratch off lottery ticket. I go the rest of the way.....Serial number in the mid 300,000's! According to the 6.9 upgrade info The Warden posted on one of my first posts, this block meets the criteria for the bolt in piston cooling jets. ;Sweet

In the race between the DT360 and 6.9 IDI build, I'd say the 6.9 just got a gigantic running head start! I will be picking the engine up this weekend for $400.00. I just hope to God something stupid didn't happen to it like a snapped crank or who knows what else knowing my luck. No Idea of the mileage but I never seen a engine look so clean for something this old. I'm guessing it was well maintained. The boys are going to pull it this week and yank the oil pan and give it a quick look over inspection before I purchase it just to make sure. I cant wait :rock:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to pull it yourself most yards cut wires basically hack n slash.

I cant speak for most yards....what I can speak for is myself and the yards I worked at.

Cutting and slashing was not allowed unless absolutely required...or there was no other option.

Same holds true for me still.

Does not take much longer to do it correctly and smootly ....trust me I know this as fact

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on finding one ;Sweet

If you're going to be going through the engine anyways, this may be a moot point...but, one thing to keep in mind is that an engine in an ambulance chassis may be low miles, but probably very high hours, and much of that spent idling. That might be a reason to consider FarmerFrank's offer...but, again, it's a moot point if you're going to be doing a complete rebuild.

Hope things go smoothly ;Sweet

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the boys at this salvage yard quite well. Nothing will be destroyed. The owner will not tolerate any shenanigans of that nature.

@FarmerFrank: I'm 5 minutes from Blue mountain ski area just below the Pocono mountains in east central pa. That's a very tempting proposition! 250? 350? Auto? Manual? I'm thinking I could grab the 6.9 out of that then use the truck for the fabrication guinea pig for the DT360. No matter what is behind the cab, as long as the fabrication I come up with under the hood will jive with any other 250 or 350 of that flat nose years I should be able to apply it to any other vehicle whether it is a cab and chassis dump, regular long bed or crew cab. I'll highly think about this. Thank you for the super generous offer!

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda like the press in style coolers . really dont have to worry about a bolt falling out and causing havoc.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda like the press in style coolers . really dont have to worry about a bolt falling out and causing havoc.
Do you know of a source for replacement press-in cooler jets? IIRC you can't reuse them, and the last I had heard, sources for new ones were drying up...but, if there's a reliable source, that could be a very good thing ;Sweet

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dieselcrawler: Am I allowed to post business names here?

@Mikey89014: Exactly what The Warden said! That is a awesome point however, didn't think of that. I would guess a small amount of Loctite would take care of that horrible possibility.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive seen 2 of these engines almost sawn in half by a connecting rod and the bolt didnt fall out, likely a nonissue.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to have a fixture to align the pressin oil jets so there aligned perfectly.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to have a fixture to align the pressin oil jets so there aligned perfectly.
I had a feeling that was the case, and I'm suspecting that that alignment tool's getting more and more difficult to find...but, again, can replacement jets even be found? IIRC the press-in jets get destroyed on removal...

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know of a source for replacement press-in cooler jets? IIRC you can't reuse them, and the last I had heard, sources for new ones were drying up...but, if there's a reliable source, that could be a very good thing ;Sweet

I dont know of a source yet, however i do have the fixture to install them .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online