The Caper and the IDI.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
So my m-inlaw goes to a local tourism/trade/artist show today and buy's this huge friggin rod iron fire pit made by a blacksmith from Sydney, Cape Breton Island which is about a good 5-6hr drive from my place on the other end of the province...The blacksmith and his wife came to deliver it around 6pm after the show closed for the day....He's driving an old 94 U-haul cube with IDI power....As we carried the pit to the backyard he asked me where the nearest place was to buy diesel because the cube was empty....I explained his two closest options and he choose one that he knew he could find....I proceeded to tell him that he doesn't want to run that old IDI out of fuel as they can be a poison pig to get going sometimes...That progressed into a little bull session about his glow plugs and etc that he didn't think were working right....

I told him I was a truck mechanic for D.O.T and gave him one of my own trucking business cards in case he ever got into IDI trouble so far from home. He travels this way for trade shows and deliveries quite often....He leaves and we sit down to supper....20 minutes later the m-inlaws phone rings....Guess who yet?.....He's out of fuel.;Really...I drove in, picked them up and we went for fuel at the gas station (he filled my dually up too) about a mile away, returned and got the old pig running after a little coaxing....I discovered a pretty healthy fuel leak at the pass side return line leaving the filter head so we drove around the corner to the apartment building my parents live in and bummed some tools from the old man to get buddy fixed up....He's as happy as a clam and shoves $40 in my pocket on top of the $40 of fuel he put in the dually....He said it would have cost a lot more to call a wrecker and he wouldn't have learned anything.;Sweet....I advised him to gear up an IDI rescue kit to keep on board for the long trips.

40L of fuel
fuel filter
wrench for the filter
ether
some 3/16, 5/16 and 3/8 fuel hose and some clamps.

He see's the value of that now driving an old rig with 381,000km on the clock....Damn nice people, glad I could help them out.....My old man's a "Caper" too so they had a good yarn while I tinkered with the truck. He told dad "you got some boy there" and the old man puffed right up with pride and said there was some "Caper" blood in my veins.:D

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Good on ya man. It's a great feeling to help others when they need it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Not his I guess....He had it for 3 yrs so far, no huge bills on it and he's running all over the maritimes with it selling his products.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
hey big rig, was it a e series?

The F-series diesels were mostly one way trucks. The DC or local trucks (if you look at uhauls even today you will see the dc nomenclature infront of the unit number) were gas.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRigTech
Diesel junky

Ha Ha Ha practice makes perfect. Good Samaritine. :D :thumbsup: :angel:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Nice;Sweet I often stop to offer help to a stranded motorist, even if its as simple as using a cell phone.:angel:

I once stopped on the side of the road to help a lady that had a blowout on my way home from work. As soon as i got out of the truck i had a shoe thrown at me and she screamed i'm calling the cops, get away from me! So i get in my truck and leave. about an hour or so later i get a knock at my door from the police about harassing a stranded "mother" on 441, but she got my plate as i left. explained to the cops, i'm a mechanic on my way home from work and i saw a car on the side of the road with a shredded tire, figured i could help. yea its the last time i go out of my way to help anyone.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep, some people are just toasted between the ears these days...Can't really blame them though if they watched the news on a daily basis.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I feel bad for that woman's husband. I hope she waited a good looooooong time for help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online