Tested Autolite 1106's

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After watching the glow plug test video posted here I decided to run a test of my own and this is what happened. They are some autolite 1106's that I removed from a previous truck that I had. Glad that I did! Both swelled after 30 seconds and burned out. They would have been impossible to remove without breaking the tip. One was worse than the other one. My charger was on the 20 amp setting. Nothing but beru's for me. I believe these are for a olds 350 diesel app and they cross to bosch 80034 and ac delco 7g's. They say 11 volts on the side. Guess not all 12 volt plugs are equal??

P.S.- I broke off the spade terminal on purpose to make it easier to get the socket on them to get them out

Attachments

• SL730615.jpg
    SL730615.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 30

Black dawg

Reaction score
how fast did they get hot? I have a few ac 9gs that were re marked as autolite 1106. the 9g gets hot quickly and will swell and fail.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took about 10-15 seconds to get red. As soon as they got red they IMMEDIATELY began to swell.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the 1106s i tested took about 15 to start smoking and were just all the way red by 30 secs.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autolite 1106's are not dual coil, so i won't use them either. 80034's are self regulating. 7G's are not. nor are 8g's

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autolite 1106's are not dual coil, so i won't use them either. 80034's are self regulating. 7G's are not. nor are 8g's

How do you know if they are or not? I thought that all gm app. plugs were. I know on the autolite website they list the ford app. plugs as needing a voltage controller and they dont for the gm app. plugs such as this one.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the only way to know for sure is to watch the amp draw. on dual coils the amperage falls off sharply once they are hot. you cant trust what the aftermarket advertizes because they really dont care about older stuff.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most 12 volt plugs were voltage limiting. Guess Im wrong about that:dunno

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only way to know for sure is to watch the amp draw. on dual coils the amperage falls off sharply once they are hot. you cant trust what the aftermarket advertizes because they really dont care about older stuff.
Ya, I tried doing that but the gauge on my charger(I have one of the floor models) only goes in 10 amp increments so there is a jump from 10 to 0.