tensioner test?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put the new belt on and then check the tension on the belt in between pulleys, there is a tool for it but doing it by feel is ok, should get about an inch per foot of belt i beleave kind of like this

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The belt came off last night and got chewed up is there a way to test the tensioner.

There is a section on the tension-er that shows if it's ok.

Try this image showing what to look for

put the new belt on and then check the tension on the belt in between pulleys, there is a tool for it but doing it by feel is ok, should get about an inch per foot of belt i beleave kind of like this

He has a serpentine setup and I"m not sure that works for it.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The test is to go buy a new tensioner. if it doesn't jump, your good! I had that happen to me last year on a 1.5yr old belt. Took the tensioner apart and found one of the stops I couldn't see normally was broken. Napa warrantied the belt and I bought myself a new tensioner. Works great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Generally its felt that when the belt is thrown the idler or the tensioner is in need of replacement. Best to look both of these items over well. The tensioner pic clearly shows the proper set for belt length when everything is on and in place. Belts sometimes are tuff to find in the proper length too. If the alternater has been changed and a smaller or larger diameter pulley was used then you will have differant length issues.

fordhorse

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the tensioner and the idler. The tensioner came off in two pieces and the idler did not spin freely. I would like to thank you all for looking at my thread.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a Thanks button for that. :) Glad to hear you got it taken care of. mine stranded me at 11pm in between towns, Just didn't want anyone else to have that problem. If the belt goes/wears out, replace the tensioner!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed and found out why it failed. Finding the reason for a failure is almost better than fixing it and hearing it run again.. We all thank you for thanking us as a collective. We are here for just that reason.. to help others like we were helped in the past..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert