Tearing up output shafts. Why?

steamtownwelde

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hey all, hoping one of you guys can figure this out. 6 or so months ago the joints in the rear shaft started getting noisy. I dropped the truck off and had them replaced with moog joints. A month after that the front joint broke while I was quite a ways from home. I got a ride to get new joints and when I went to install it the slipyoke from the tcase was ovalled where the cap presses in. I found another one at a junkyard and replaced the joints with spicers. A month or so ago I started occasionally hearing a noise and a week later I ended up walking a block down the street to pick up my driveshaft. The yoke was lying on the street under the truck looking like it does in the picture.

It cant be just bad luck. Any suggestions?

sent from my dumb phone with my ******** typing.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be a bend drive shaft causing this. Once the shaft falls out it really should be trued by a drive shaft builder just to see how bent it is. As for the parts breaking I can only guess they were installed wrong or heavy force was used to get them in. I feel its time to seek out a professional that can tell you whats right and wrong.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those joints dont look like they were replaced. If they were, the shop cheated you. Look at the rust and crap in the yoke where the caps should "slide" in. They should be nice and clean. The slip yoke seal surface should be nice and shiny too. I would have never let that out of my shop.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those joints dont look like they were replaced. If they were, the shop cheated you. Look at the rust and crap in the yoke where the caps should "slide" in. They should be nice and clean. The slip yoke seal surface should be nice and shiny too. I would have never let that out of my shop.

I noticed the slip yoke surface too. The seal on the transfer case is ruined now running against all that rust. I hate to think what the bushing looks like in the tailshaft of the transfer case also. If it's wore out the shaft will vibrate and the seal will leak also.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess bent driveshaft. It doesn't take much to bend a shaft. I got rearended a few years ago. Wiped the u-joints out about 5000 miles later. They were close to due but borderline. Anyway, got the joints out with a press. Couldn't get the new ones in. Measured and found the yoke on the shaft was twisted. Took it to a driveline shop and the guy asked me what the hell I did to it. He thought I dropped the truck off something onto it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamtownwelde

Reaction score
Perhaps it got bent when the joints were replaced. There's a driveline shop here. Ill order a new yoke and seal and bring them to the shop with the shaft to see what they say.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Perhaps it got bent when the joints were replaced. There's a driveline shop here. Ill order a new yoke and seal and bring them to the shop with the shaft to see what they say.

I would order a bushing. Most likely it is shot or almost shot.