Tach?

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I was workin on my truck this afternoon and was trying to figure out why my tach isnt working. Well I cant fugure out where the tach hooks up at on the engine.:confused: I fell like an idiot for asking so dont be too harsh on me fellas but where the hell does it hook up at? BTW its an 85 F250 4x4 with the 6.9 if that maters any:dunno

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
on top of the IP gear housing right by the oil fill there's a big hex head with a wire coming out of it. that's the tach sender. pull it out and clean it off, that may help.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the arrow pointing at the sending unit on the IP I have on the tailgate of my Bronco.

Attachments

• Tach sending unit.JPG
    Tach sending unit.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 34

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the sensor and its hooked up, I didnt have time to pull it out and clean it though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
pull the outer sheath back away from the wires and see what the insulation looks like on them. It has a habit of getting crumbly and shorting out

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tach is still not wanting to copperate so I pulled the fitting out and there was some sludge on it so I cleaned it off and reistalled it. I checked the wires and no shorts or broken wires. It worked before pulling the old engine and the new engine came out of a truck that didnt have a tach, could this be a reason? The tach worked when the engine was installed but showed around 400rpm's when it was spinning around 2800-3000rpm's and then it just quit working. Does anyone think that the box that it plugs into may be bad? If so what else plugs into that box that would quit working?

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I would say its the sending unit. Mine did the same thing and then I put a new sender in lastweek and it works perfectly.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, a dealership only item:puke: Does anyone sell an aftermarket unit?

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I don't believe so, I bet IH dealer sells them too. I got mine and a VRV valve for a little under 140 bucks. Not sure how much it was. Not that terribly expensive.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
its fun now that i have a tach. I sit there and watch it as it goes up and the rpm drop between gears. I guess the novelty factor hasnt worn off yet
lol. Never had a tach in a truck before.