T19 and Np435 question

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Do the bellhousings match on the 2 transmissions? How about the clutch and transfer case compatibilty?

On another note, I've heard too high of gearing in the rear can cause premature clutch wear, is this true and why?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the bellhousings match on the 2 transmissions? How about the clutch and transfer case compatibilty?
To the best of my knowledge the bell housing are interchangeable.

Input shaft for both transmissions are the same as well as far as I know.

All Ford Tcases swap nicely 6 bolt flange 31 spline no problem. Newer models however are different with SD and so forth.

On another note, I've heard too high of gearing in the rear can cause premature clutch wear, is this true and why?
High gears and high loads places more strain on the clutch and subsequently can cause slipping and wear.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about chunking my 4.1:1 T19 for A Np435 and swapping from 4.10's to 3.27's. The first gear with np435 would still be steeper than the first gear t19 with 4.10's

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riot is talking about the snout the clutch throwout bearing slides on, it's part of the transmission and not the bell itself. When installing the Ranger torque splitter said snout gets in the way, it will not slide into the Ranger's internals - the shaft will, the snout will not. The solution is to cut most of the snout off, IIRC the part that protrudes from the transmission case's face cannot be more than 3/4" tall or it will bind on the Ranger guts. Should be a picture of that in the install directions that came with your Ranger, or you can download them from the Advance Adapters website and it will show it there.

Also, the axles gearing, it's only an issue when your 1st gear isn't low enough - there was a member here not too long ago who replaced his diesel T19 with a gasser one just cause of that issue, he had 3.55s and kept burning the clutches under load. With the creeper gear of the NP435 you should be just fine tho. I do have to ask, where are you getting these 3.27 gears from?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Well dang, good question, I know you can get 3.08:1's so I only assumed you could get 3.27:1's but it doesn't look like it. Jumps from 3.08 to 3.55.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What axles are we talking about anyways? For the Sterling you can get just about anything (3.30 or 3.31 is close enough to your initial 3.27 idea), it's the front axle that will be your limiting factor - AFAIK as low as a D50 goes numerically is 3.54 and it's the same with the D60 as well. Dodge D61 fronts had lower numbered gears, but they are not reverse cut so not usable in a Ford front axle...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
And I could go with 3.30 rear with a 3.55 front if I could put up with 35" rear tires and 33" fronts. Lol, just a thought

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you'll have to run them the other way around, smaller tires go with taller (numerically smaller) gears and larger tires go with the deeper reduction gears. So it will look quite silly, with big tires up front and small ones in the rear. I'm afraid you're stuck with the 3.54 fronts and 3.55 rears, well you could switch the front to aftermarket gears to gain a 3.55 ration there as well but that's getting kinda offtopic there. Sure would be nice if we could get 3.30s for the rev-cut D60s tho...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh. You're right. I got the numerical value mixed up for the gear value. It would sit 1" higher in the front than the back (in comparison to the way it sits now). Would level it a little, but would look a little funny and I would have to do something about rubbing. No way.
May get stuck with 3.55's

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with 3.55's at all and a good OD you will get decent mileage and still have OK pulling power.

The benefit of splitting shifts is nice too BTW!

Remember you will need new drive shafts as well doing the Ranger addition.

This is not as simple a bolt in as some presume.

Not sure though if you have 4.10's why you don't for now just throw in ranger and see how you like it and later if need be swap 3.55's in????

JM2CW

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 3.55s with an E4OD for a while, it's actually a quite nice setup for higher speeds, gives you decent MPG just running around as well. This is with 235 tires, so nothing oversized. I think you will like that gear ratio, won't be able to idle at 100mph like Icanfixall can with his double overdrive but it will still be very interstate-friendly. Even more so with larger-than-factory tires.

Riot, the problem with the Ranger are not the driveshafts, those are easy enough to do or have done for you. It's the transmission tunnel mods for the shifters where the real fun will be, especially with a 4x4 truck - both have to move about 7" aft of their factory location. With the '80s shifter setup where both factory ones come up thru the top of the transmission tunnel it will be much easier to make new holes for them (especially if one has an E4OD tunnel cover available), but it looks like switching to bucket seats may be necessary. On the bricks (except '87) and OBS setup where transfer case shifter comes in thru the side of the transmission tunnel, I'm thinking the PTO plate on the t19 could be used to build a new pivot point for that shifter and allow it to stay in more or less the same location with respect to the cab as the factory one. And then you still gotta punch in yet another hole for the Ranger shifter LOL