symptoms of a failing proportioning valve??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Isn't there a right and left side adjusters for the direction of rotation. Maybe somebody installed the right side on the left side. I seem to remember something about rights and lefts in the area.....:dunno

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Theres front and rear specific shoes, is that what you mean?? if so, they are on correct, i double checked that.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Theres front and rear specific shoes, is that what you mean?? if so, they are on correct, i double checked that.

I think he meant the automatic adjusters. They do come left and right. And I have heard of them being put in the wrong side before.

tknomaj

Reaction score
their is a leading shoe and trailing shoe the trailing shoe has a longer lining surface on it and regardless of right or left side of vehicle it goes lining facing the rear of vehicle . the leading shoe has a shorter lining surface and it allway has lining pointed toward front of vehicle. there are right and left self adjusters and if not placed properly will not adjust brakes at all or could over adjust. they also have to be on the correct side for brakes to function properly.

sassyrel

Reaction score
anddddd--if you have front disc---and rear drum--you have a proportioning valve------on the frame just below the master cylinder---

tknomaj

Reaction score
the proportioning valve cannot create his problem of one side locking up and not the other. his problem lies in rear axle or his brake assy possiblly a pluged brake line frozen wheel cyl. out or round drum or brakes not assembeled properly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anddddd--if you have front disc---and rear drum--you have a proportioning valve------on the frame just below the master cylinder---

Not if he gots ABS he don't - from the m/c lines go straight down to the splitter block (front) and the RABS module (rear line).

tknomaj

Reaction score
the spliter block as you call it is the proportioning valve. the correct name is combination valve . because it portions the fluid from front to rear so braking force is applied evenly from fron to rear but has cut out valve so if a hydrolic failure would occur in either fron or rear system a valve cuts out failing portion of system and keeps brake function in the other operation system. after it leaves combo valve it then goes to rabs valve and as i stated earlier these cannot cause his problem. P.S. most proportioning valves/combination valves fail due to brake fluid never being changed and rusting up until the valves leak brake fluid or the combo valve goes off due to hydrolic failure in front or rear system and is frozen in place due to rust and will not reset.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
The adjusters are on properly, shoes are on properly, only thing is the drums not being true. tomorrow they are comming off and we will see if thats the problem. if its not, im putting rear disk in.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The adjusters are on properly, shoes are on properly, only thing is the drums not being true. tomorrow they are comming off and we will see if thats the problem. if its not, im putting rear disk in.

Don't forget to check axle bearing tolerances.
My dime bet is that's where your problems lies and I'd hate to see drop alot of coin on rear discs and still have an issue.:dunno

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Not if he gots ABS he don't - from the m/c lines go straight down to the splitter block (front) and the RABS module (rear line).

I do have RABS, and it works perfectly. even with the rear right locking up under braking, it will lock and the pulsating will happen then unlock and so on. i tried it out yesterday.

Don't forget to check axle bearing tolerances.
My dime bet is that's where your problems lies and I'd hate to see drop alot of coin on rear discs and still have an issue.:dunno

You and me both!!! but it would be a complete axel swap anyway. out with the old in with the new! so as of right when i get off the computer, im swapping drums, ill let you know what happens!

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ok so when i swapped them and adjusted them, she does the same exact thing, on the same side. i did figure out that the adjuster isnt over tightening, its just locking up when i stop hard, and i know this because the drums came off easily with some minor pulling.

im going to see if there is any air in there tomorrow.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you also swap the tires like I told you? If you have all worn out on one side and good on the other, the worn-out side will slip.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i didnt swap the tires only because both insides are pretty bad, and both outsides are pretty good, its just that in a comparsion of insides, the right one is the worst of the two. she locks up only on the right in gravel too, so i figured that it wasnt the tires in that instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online