swapping from synthetic to conventional oil. will it hurt it?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
will it hurt anything to swap my truck from synthetic to conventional oil? i cant see paying $100+ each time i change my oil.

jbuck

Reaction score
If your not extending your drain intervals and don't care about the added protection of Synthics than there is not a problem. Make sure your changing the oil in the high pressure oil resevoir. There is 3 quarts in there that don't cycle very well and you won't see anything in the Ford Manual on how to change it. It lubes the injectors.

j2005

Reaction score
common myth that is 100% wrong...you can change in between whenever you want just find out the steps before you get into it.

RenoF250

Reaction score
If your not extending your drain intervals and don't care about the added protection of Synthics than there is not a problem. Make sure your changing the oil in the high pressure oil resevoir. There is 3 quarts in there that don't cycle very well and you won't see anything in the Ford Manual on how to change it. It lubes the injectors.

Why? They synthetic can mix with the conventional no problem.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Just a few questions
1.)How many miles do you go on you oil before you change it?
2.)Do you burn you oil?
3.)What oil do you use?
4.)What oil will you use?

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil changes on my big rig are always full synthetic. I do not extend the oil drain, I still use the recommended 20,000 mile interval so when I need a gallon at a truckstop I use dino oil. I do this because I don not extend the oil drain.

got over 1.5 million miles on my ISX and still maintain 40 psi oil pressure at cruising rmp.

so yeah, switching back and forth is not a problem.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
thanks guys. when i bought it, it showed that rotella t6 5w40 full synthetic had been run. i ran 15w40 scheafer full synthetic in it this time. it cost me $114 with my discount for oil and filter. was planning on going 5k miles on this change but the 3k mark is about here and i wanna go on and change it. was planning on running delo 15w40, but ive been reading about this rotella heavy duty 10w30 synthetic blend. it seems like the way to go and only $16 per gallon vs $25 per gallon that the scheafer cost.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
thanks guys. when i bought it, it showed that rotella t6 5w40 full synthetic had been run. i ran 15w40 scheafer full synthetic in it this time. it cost me $114 with my discount for oil and filter. was planning on going 5k miles on this change but the 3k mark is about here and i wanna go on and change it. was planning on running delo 15w40, but ive been reading about this rotella heavy duty 10w30 synthetic blend. it seems like the way to go and only $16 per gallon vs $25 per gallon that the scheafer cost.
If it is Syn i'd at least go 10k I get 6 to 8 on dino, I'm going to 8 on syn in my gasser

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go 10K on the synthetic in my Lincoln........ going to shorten it to 5K now that I am over 200,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online