Superduty Dually Makeover

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting to get geared up for the makeover on my dually. Here are the plans so far.
  • House of Kolor paints, BC25 black base coat with snowhite pearl base for the kandy graphics, kandy tangerine, kandy spanish gold and kandy apple red true fire graphics
  • Shaved door handles
  • Shaved tailgate opened and closed with linear actuators
  • Body color bumpers and grill, no chrome at all except for the wheels.
  • Smoked / Black LED tail lights, headlights, 3rd brakelight and running lights.
  • Low profile Roll up tonneau cover
  • smoked in channel vent visors
  • 20% tint on front side windows to match rear windows
  • Foose Spank dually wheels
  • DJM Suspension 3"/5" drop ...... possibly not, still thinking about it.
  • Interior to remain stock Lariat LE quad captians chairs with only the addition of rear seat DVD system with the screens built into the back of the front seats.
Going for clean and low but still functional when I need to use it as a truck. Should be ready to commence work in about 2 weeks with the paint completion targeted about mid June

Going from this
You must be registered for see images attach

To this

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
man, just when i thought that was TRUCK! j/k.. cant wait to see it.. specially the drop/wheels! if had it to do over again, definitely woulda sprung for a better paint job!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Sounds very cool. The wheels are a little too "spider man" for me though. But it ain't my truck. If you haven't seen those wheel mounted on a dually yet, check out diesel power mag for a truck called Aftershock. It was a cover truck a month or so ago. The guy lives in the town I used to live in & they just didn't look so hot up close. Just my .02 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

I passed though Fayetteville last week at about 80-95MPH with some snowbirds on a severe deadline or I would have called to have that beer with ya. Maybe I can get a look while she's under construction if the car gods allow it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The painting is a talent I'm blessed with, been doining it since I wa about 16 so my only cost is materials and time. It's going to cost about $1k just in House of Kolor paint alone. The HOK urethene clear is nearly $200 gallon by itself.

Scott,
One reason for the Foose wheels is they are chromed aluminum and easy to clean, another is I like the way they look. I've had both chromed aluminum and polished aluminum in the past and like the chrome better. I don't really like the looks of any of the American Eagle dually wheels or the factory wheels and most of the rest of the dually front wheels look like they belong on a ricer.

Darrin,
I don't buy many magazines but I bought that issue just for the write up and pics of that truck. Love the front on it and it's the only one I've seen that looks good with the big wheels. That's a look I generally don't like.

If I didn't have and need my running boards I'd put some side pipes on mine too. I may spring for a cowl induction hood, been running that through my mind quite a bit.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow than I did today so I can finish the tranny on the '90 and get it out of the shop so I have room to finish selling parts from my garden tractors next week to raise some more play money for this project.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you can paint like that? Do the 22's! Do the 22's!!;Sweet ;Sweet

You buying there big $$$$penderLOL , I like having 16" tires I can afford when money is tight. This makeover is already estimated at $5k

Yes I can paint like that, got started airbrushing when custom vans were all the rage in the 80's. Little rusty but a day of practice will get me back into the swing of things.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
That truck on the cover of Diesel Power is about the only lowered truck I've ever seen that I like. Duallies are not meant to be lowered IMHO. Actually no truck is meant to be lowered...only raised:rotflmao Actually Tonkadoc, I know whatever you do, it will turn out very nice. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I know it's probably a no no, but there's a fella from Finland that belongs to another forum I'm a member of and he does some incredible flames. Check 'em out.

Tom

Attachments

• flames.jpg
    flames.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • flames side.jpg
    flames side.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 12
  • flames door.jpg
    flames door.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
;Sweet plans Mike :cheers:

I need to free up some time and get my *** down there....just tough to give away good paying side jobs, and the normal summer rush to complete the Parade homes by Oct.....not to mention your stairs :sorry:

hell....I'm embarresed to say my air horns aren't even completly installed and finished yet.......

The flames will definatly be :smoke::hail

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet plans Mike :cheers:

I need to free up some time and get my *** down there....just tough to give away good paying side jobs, and the normal summer rush to complete the Parade homes by Oct.....not to mention your stairs :sorry:

hell....I'm embarresed to say my air horns aren't even completly installed and finished yet.......

The flames will definatly be :smoke::hail

Don't worry about my attic stairs, it'll be a long time before I need them. It'll prolly be July or August when I finally finish the kitchen. I know your work days ain't gonna get shorter in the summer.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck on the cover of Diesel Power is about the only lowered truck I've ever seen that I like. Duallies are not meant to be lowered IMHO. Actually no truck is meant to be lowered...only raised:rotflmao Actually Tonkadoc, I know whatever you do, it will turn out very nice. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I know it's probably a no no, but there's a fella from Finland that belongs to another forum I'm a member of and he does some incredible flames. Check 'em out.

Tom

Nice pics. I like what he did inside the door jambs. Shows attension to detail.-Drool

3/5 drop isn't much. It won't be scraping the belly in the weeds, just fills the wheel opening and I don't loose any load or towing capability;Sweet . Only thing I'll need to do when done is flip the ball on my my drop hitch.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
You buying there big $$$$penderLOL , I like having 16" tires I can afford when money is tight. This makeover is already estimated at $5k

Yes I can paint like that, got started airbrushing when custom vans were all the rage in the 80's. Little rusty but a day of practice will get me back into the swing of things.

I tell ya what. I got one REAL Alcoa 22'' truck wheel in new condition I'll give ya if you buy the other 5. This ain't that poser crap american force sells either. Came off the 07 Peterbilt. It's got a small blem you can't really see. It'd be bad ass man. If you can do a make over for 5,000, we need to talk. You got less in the truck after the makeover than anybody could buy one for.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell ya what. I got one REAL Alcoa 22'' truck wheel in new condition I'll give ya if you buy the other 5. This ain't that poser crap american force sells either. Came off the 07 Peterbilt. It's got a small blem you can't really see. It'd be bad ass man. If you can do a make over for 5,000, we need to talk. You got less in the truck after the makeover than anybody could buy one for.

I have roughly $11k in the truck right now and will still be under Blue book retail when done hopefully. Of course everybody knows you are never done working on your toys.

The best way to estimate a project is as follows.
  1. Take 2 sheets of paper and label one "COST" and the other "TIME"
  2. On the cost sheet write down everything you want and the price and add it all up.
  3. On the time sheet estimate when you will have the $$$ to buy each toy and how lon it will take to install them.
  4. Now take the cost sheet and multiply X2 or X3 and you have a fairly accurate price estimate.
  5. Now Take a good look at the time sheet and put it in the circular file because you know that life happens and nothing ever goes as planned:cry: Especially true if you are "Married with Children"
Stock off the Pete would be 22.5" wheels which would be a problem as the shortest lo pro big truck tire I can get for 22.5 wheels is 36" tall:eek: and would require a lift or tubs.......Not happening

What companies do is cut the stock 22.5 and 24.5 truck wheels down to 22 or 24" so they can run lo pro performance tires like this F350 with 22.0 Directional Freightliner Wheels and Toyo 285/45x22.0 tires. I do like this one and will toss this idea around before a final decision is made.

Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I didn't know the look alikes were only 22's. They look cool even if they aren't rated for any weight. I'm sure whatever you do will look awsome, but I'm casting my vote for slammed with 22's:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7