super oily exhaust port?

78fordf150

Reaction score
okay i am cleaning up my 6.9 and i removed the passanger side exhaust manifold and noticed that there was alot of black gooz inside the port and on the manifold, the cyclinder was passanger side rear

Is this a common thing or dose it mean a rebuild is due

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with the above posting. You have not told us how many miles are on the engine or if any head work was done. So untill you pull the valve covers and look closely at the guides and seals nobody will be accurately making a better guess than the seals but... Keep in mind the guides can be the problem too. Even if the guides are bad a new set of seals can help for the short time but you will be pulling the heads for guide replacement. Removing the passenger side valve cover is the tuff side.... Sorry...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear on the stems. Worn, loose, or missing seals. Loose valves as well.

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through the top end of a 7.3 that has unknown milage on it, and only 2 valves had partial remnants of exhaust valve seals. The rest of them either had little pieces in the oil pan, or had already been evacuated through normal oil changes. I couldn't believe how many were just plain missing!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is for future referance on the valve seals. The newer exhaust valve seals are the light brown or kinda white looking material and they need to be snapped up into the valve retainer. Not installed down on the head or guides like the intake is installed. This exhaust valve seal is used differantly than whats found in a gasser. When you have the retainer in your hand just snap the seal into it and install it on the spring. Thats all there is to it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are going to have to remove the valve springs to replace the seals if that is what is needed. When doing that bring that cylinder up to TDC so the valve don't fall into the cyl. if it's down. There will be two cylinders at TDC at the same time.

The engine rotates in a clockwise direction as seen from the front of the truck, and for every 1/4 turn of the engine(crank) each next piston will arrive at TDC. So, When the line on the vibration damper is at the 2 oclock position, cylinders 2 and 5 will be at TDC. When the mark is at the 5 oclock position, cylinders 7 and 6 will be at TDC, 8 oclock has cylinders 3 and 8 at TDC, and back to 11oclock, 1 and 4 will be at TDC.

Cylinder numbers are assigned 1,3,5,7 on the left (passenger USA) bank from front of truck to back, and 2,4,6,8 on the driver's side, front to back. Firing order is 1,2,7,3,4,5,6,8.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I went through the top end of a 7.3 that has unknown milage on it, and only 2 valves had partial remnants of exhaust valve seals. The rest of them either had little pieces in the oil pan, or had already been evacuated through normal oil changes. I couldn't believe how many were just plain missing!

Hey Mel, this "A" series 6.9 didn't have a single piece of an exhaust stem seal left. :eek:
Got new seals and valves lapped in 3 hours. Looks much nicer now.:sly
I tried getting some good pics of the before and afters but couldn't get a good focus on the target areas.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt it! Imagine... brittle plastic in an engine. Whoda thunkit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.