Sun timing meter

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went rooting through our cabinets at work and found that we have a Sun Electric diesel tach/timing meter, model DTM-101. It is a lumy type and has everything for doing the Ford/IH idi's. We used to have a number of IDIs in the fleet, but haven't for a while. This meter hasn't been used in YEARS, and there are no instructions with it. Is anyone familiar with it? Also, what is the lumy spec that would equal 9.5 deg of pulse timing?
Travis..

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some searching and can't find instructions on how to use this thing. I would assume it's just like other lumy type meters. It has the lumy probe, a flexible probe, presumably for the damper pick-up, + and - power leads, and an offset knob. I presume both probes should provide rpm when used individually and that should be confirmed? Once all looks good and is hooked up, what do you do with the degrees offset knob, zero it or other? I don't have a truck to try it on, so I just need to know how it SHOULD work. Here are some pics so you all have an idea of what it is.
Travis..
You must be registered for see images attach

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks very much like my rotunda. when someone gets home that is smarter then me i will see if we can pm my instructions to you. joe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats what I think too. Sure looks like a repackaged rotunda meter to me... Bright minds think alike...:D

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks very much like my rotunda. when someone gets home that is smarter then me i will see if we can pm my instructions to you. joe

That would be greatly appreciated;Sweet I will PM you my email, that might be easier.

This leaves the other question I had, what would be the setting that corresponds with 9.5 deg pulse method?
Travis..

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check this post,http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28451&highlight=78-0100 there are instructions on this page (a link) for the rotunda meter that looks exactly like yours, and be careful of that lumy probe, it's glass in the center. DON"T over tighten it in the number 1 gp hole, and the magnetic probe (long flexible thing) hole is next to the crankshaft pulley on the pass side . make sure the probe goes all the way in, it will go in past the little retainer clip on the probe. The hole is probably filled with gunk and IIRC the you can clean it out with a 5/16 drill bit BY HAND.

Last edited:

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know off hand roughly what the cetane rating is of the ULSD here in CA? Also, should the glass part of the lumy probe be cleaned before use, it looks pretty sooty.
Travis..

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
travis i couldnt get my scanner to work on windows 7. the misses took the instructions to work and will email from there. i think theres a chart for different cetane numbers and timing setttings in the instuctions. i have both pulse and lumy set ups and have never used the lumy. let me know when you get the instuctions. joe

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like the Rotunda to me too. The instructions for using it are in one of my album links. Check the Moose Truck album tech drawings section.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
travis i couldnt get my scanner to work on windows 7. the misses took the instructions to work and will email from there. i think theres a chart for different cetane numbers and timing setttings in the instuctions. i have both pulse and lumy set ups and have never used the lumy. let me know when you get the instuctions. joe

Thanks Joe, I'll let you know.;Sweet

Sure looks like the Rotunda to me too. The instructions for using it are in one of my album links. Check the Moose Truck album tech drawings section.

Thanks Mel, that was my next stop. So, the cetane rating will affect the reading, or the actual timing? Does the 9.5 degrees pulse directly correlate to the lumy method, or will the lumy method be + or - depending on cetane rating? Lets say you time an engine by pulse and then stick a lumy set-up on there to check. Will the reading be the same no matter the fuel, or will it change based on fuel quality?
Travis..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With luminosity timing and ULSD or Biodiesel I like to see it around 0* ATDC to 1* ATDC at 1400, it's worked for me since I got my MT1480. That puts you pretty close to what 9.7*BTDC at 2000 would be with pulse method.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well IMHO that magnetic probe looks just like the Kent Moore J33300 I have.

One tip on the mag probe...

Clean the hole out really well it's the taller of the two holes BTW Dig around on my timing threads and there are some fantastic pics depicting which one etc.

Now the tip...

PLACE 3 business cards between the harmonic and the timing tab, press the mag probe till contact made, remove cards DON"T touch probe...make sure wires routed safely away from any and all pulleys

If you push mag probe against dampner it will ruin the mag probe in a jiffy, there needs to be a safe gap.

JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online